Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2021, 07:35 AM

266 posts, read 153,746 times

Advertisements

i have 4k video that i want to stream from my dekstop to my TV. it is not a smart TV, but i do have a google chromecast connected. i tried casting my desktop screen and then playing the video, however i dont think chromecast has enough bandwidth to cast the video i am playing. i tried casting thorugh VLC player as well, but same problem. Other than connecting a HDMI cable directly, how can i stream wirelessly?

i have ac1900 wifi, so that shouldnt be a bottleneck either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2021, 09:06 AM

666 posts, read 431,654 times
Run an iperf test between that system and the desktop to see what the bandwidth is. Just because a device is over 802.11ac does not guarantee that obstructions are not degrading the signal.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
Run an iperf test between that system and the desktop to see what the bandwidth is. Just because a device is over 802.11ac does not guarantee that obstructions are not degrading the signal.
How do I run a iperf test? Does it test the speeds between my desktop and the chrome cast?

Old 12-28-2021, 10:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
i have 4k video that i want to stream from my dekstop to my TV. it is not a smart TV, but i do have a google chromecast connected. i tried casting my desktop screen and then playing the video, however i dont think chromecast has enough bandwidth to cast the video i am playing. i tried casting thorugh VLC player as well, but same problem. Other than connecting a HDMI cable directly, how can i stream wirelessly?

i have ac1900 wifi, so that shouldnt be a bottleneck either
The issue with Chromecast as you may know is that is uses Wifi to stream. From your device to the wifi router to the chromecast device.

The other way to cast would be a Miracast type device. That uses wifi direct from your device directly to the casting device. Less lag and it is widely supported.

Many new TVs have it as well as media players like the Firestick.

What are you wanting to cast and from what device?

Old 12-28-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The issue with Chromecast as you may know is that is uses Wifi to stream. From your device to the wifi router to the chromecast device.

The other way to cast would be a Miracast type device. That uses wifi direct from your device directly to the casting device. Less lag and it is widely supported.

Many new TVs have it as well as media players like the Firestick.

What are you wanting to cast and from what device?
want to cast a .mkv file using VLC player, from a win 10 desktop to a old TV (has hdmi inputs)

so miracast is another device like the Google chromecast that i can stick into my TV's HDMI? and Firestick is one i should look at?

Old 12-29-2021, 09:26 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,504,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
want to cast a .mkv file using VLC player, from a win 10 desktop to a old TV (has hdmi inputs)

so miracast is another device like the Google chromecast that i can stick into my TV's HDMI? and Firestick is one i should look at?
Firestick is a media player which supports miracast. There are other ways to do Miracast. Firesticks are inexpensive and full featured media players, not just used for mirroring. You could play the mkv file directly from the firestick and host it from your PC. Several ways to do it, VLC is one of them. Kodi and Plex are others that come to mind. You would not need to mirror anything if you do it this way. Firesticks start at around $20 for the "Lite" and go up the Max which is regular priced at $50.

https://www.bingegauge.com/use-vlc-firestick/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers