Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 04:53 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,425,556 times

Advertisements

Please don't get too technical. Now that Calibre cannot remove drm from my books on Kindle app, I am unable to download them so I can turn them into pdf on my computer. I never really understood how to work with Calibre to begin with, and now that the Kindle app has gotten more advanced, as of Jan 3rd, they said it wouldn't remove drm anymore. These are my books and I can do whatever I want with them. I want to turn them into epubs or pdfs. Any help? Anybody know a way around this? Or a program that still works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ablseon View Post
I dont know much about it but does this still work?

http://pennbookcenter.com/how-to-str...m-kindle-books

I just did alot of searching trying to help you

I will have to look into it. Thank you, very much!

Old 02-09-2023, 07:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Because: Pirates. Strip the DRM from that, make it a PDF and you can give that away a million times for free. There's a reason they don't just straight sell PDF's.

Why do you need to "turn them into PDF on my computer"? Serious question.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Because: Pirates. Strip the DRM from that, make it a PDF and you can give that away a million times for free. There's a reason they don't just straight sell PDF's.

Why do you need to "turn them into PDF on my computer"? Serious question.

I want to have them on my computer because these companies and apps are not 100 percent reliable. One day they are here, the next they are gone or stop working for some reason. I want to be able to put them into a power bank or USB or dvd. For storage. I am not going to steal anything that isn't already mine.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:23 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I want to have them on my computer because these companies and apps are not 100 percent reliable.
The Kindle app...owned by Amazon....
Quote:
One day they are here, the next they are gone or stop working for some reason.
I mean... Amazon... Pretty sure that Amazon is going to outlive all of us.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:35 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
I want to have them on my computer because these companies and apps are not 100 percent reliable. One day they are here, the next they are gone or stop working for some reason. I want to be able to put them into a power bank or USB or dvd. For storage. I am not going to steal anything that isn't already mine.

You do know you can install the Kindle app on your computer, and read Kindle books right on there? They don't have to be converted.

Old 02-11-2023, 08:41 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but something different is going on with downloaded books from Amazon to the Kindle.

All of a sudden I've got everything in my Archives, all 850 of them. And I can't remove them from my device after reading or moving to my "reading" section. They just go back into Archives. I don't want all this stuff. Some of the books I don't actually want after reading them; they are rubbish.

One book I bought cannot be downloaded. I'm getting tired of these changes that I didn't ask for and don't know how to work with. Who is there to ask questions of?

Old 02-11-2023, 08:54 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,013,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but something different is going on with downloaded books from Amazon to the Kindle.

All of a sudden I've got everything in my Archives, all 850 of them. And I can't remove them from my device after reading or moving to my "reading" section. They just go back into Archives. I don't want all this stuff. Some of the books I don't actually want after reading them; they are rubbish.

One book I bought cannot be downloaded. I'm getting tired of these changes that I didn't ask for and don't know how to work with. Who is there to ask questions of?

https://www.bloomberg.com/help/quest...dle-questions/

Old 02-11-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
You do know you can install the Kindle app on your computer, and read Kindle books right on there? They don't have to be converted.

Yes, I have that. But there was a time when I used to download books to the app, and if I didn't go into my app in about 3 weeks or so, if I went after that time while offline I would have to redownload the book. So it was an inconvenience for me to constantly be redownloading. This happened quite often actually. So instead of relying on them to give me the book over and over again that should already be in the app, I started converting them to epubs and pdfs, after removing the drm. That way I could access MY books whenever I wanted.

It is their own fault that I started doing this. If they hadn't been making my books disappear, forcing me to download over and over, I wouldn't of come to the conclusion that I have to save them to my computer.

But I did, and now I feel a lot better knowing that my property is with Me. I don't trust that Amazon cares enough for their customer that they will not suddenly lock access to books we have bought. There was an article of a woman who bought hundreds of books from them and then they cancelled her account and took her books. Here's the link. amazon itself says people don't own the books they buy from them.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...eletes-account

Another reason that I don't trust them with MY books is that they occasionally remove content or update them without previous warning. I can try to stop an update, but if they remove it because of whatever reason, there's nothing I can do about that.

Old 02-11-2023, 11:34 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Terrific. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers