Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 10:39 AM

6,516 posts, read 7,567,066 times

Advertisements

This plan is $9.99 a month OR $99.00 a year for a family of 6 .

These are the highlights on the website.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...=tab:primaryr1
  • For up to six people
  • Up to 6 TB cloud storage (1 TB per person)
  • Works on Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android
  • Premium desktop, web, and mobile versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and more
  • Ad-free Outlook web, desktop, and mobile email and calendar with advanced security
  • Advanced file and photo protection with OneDrive
  • Access to Microsoft support experts
  • Data and device protection for the entire family with Microsoft Defender
  • Premium features in the Microsoft Family Safety mobile app

Does anyone know if the cloud storage includes some kind of "shared storage" among the family of six, like a shared drive in an office? I want to collaborate with my nephew on some work and don't want to have to email files back and forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 10:53 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,497,950 times
The web based stuff you can get for free. It would be easy to collaborate with the web based apps. Mobile is free as well. Desktop versions are not free.

Create a free outlook email account, you get 5gb cloud storage on Onedrive included. Each member of the family can do the same.

Word, Excel etc are right there on the left side of the screen when you login to outlook.com, all web based of course.

If you login to windows with the same Microsoft account, it will backup your files from your PC automatically to onedrive.

Old 02-23-2023, 10:53 AM

66 posts, read 349,887 times
Yes you can, and it's pretty easy.
Select a folder and in the upper right corner select "Info" then "manage access".
You can let someone just look at the contents of the folder, or edit them, or even copy it onto their own OneDrive
and share completely, which sounds like what you're looking for.

Old 02-23-2023, 12:37 PM

Awesome, will subscribe then share and let you know how it works.

Regarding the free web version, apart from Word, Excel and Powerpoint... we are working with a couple of MS Access databases for our small business so the free version probably wouldn't work for us but I appreciate the advice!

Old 02-24-2023, 02:18 PM

It took a little bit, but we were able to figure out last night. Thank you for the instructions. At first it seemed like we would have to work through the website OneDrive.Live.COM and upload and download files from there, but eventually we figured out how to set up the shared One Drive in our folders right next to My Documents etc....

Old 02-25-2023, 09:04 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,314,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
It took a little bit, but we were able to figure out last night. Thank you for the instructions. At first it seemed like we would have to work through the website OneDrive.Live.COM and upload and download files from there, but eventually we figured out how to set up the shared One Drive in our folders right next to My Documents etc....
Since you've already set it up, it may not matter now. But you can also just use Teams - which will give you file sharing/discussions/collaboration, etc.

Old 02-25-2023, 04:14 PM
KCZ

4,688 posts, read 3,690,072 times
Yup, sign me up for a subscription so I can put my personal financial and medical information on the cloud. Which credit reporting agency was the one that stored their files on Amazon's unsecured server a few years ago?

Old 02-25-2023, 05:54 PM

8,342 posts, read 13,488,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Yup, sign me up for a subscription so I can put my personal financial and medical information on the cloud. Which credit reporting agency was the one that stored their files on Amazon's unsecured server a few years ago?
From a data security point, there are two types of companies:
- Those that have been hacked and known by public
- Those that have been hacked but not yet known by public

Old 02-26-2023, 04:05 AM
KCZ

4,688 posts, read 3,690,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
From a data security point, there are two types of companies:
- Those that have been hacked and known by public
- Those that have been hacked but not yet known by public

And the third kind that just don't bother with adequate security to start with.

Old 02-26-2023, 06:03 AM

6,595 posts, read 11,314,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
How much is your security budget? Cloud or not on-prem doesn't automatically mean "insecure".

Many companies have no problems securing data in the cloud. And on the reverse side, plenty of non-Cloud sources have been infiltrated or had data exfiltrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers