Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 06:44 AM

4,847 posts, read 3,276,133 times

Advertisements

Anybody else having video problems after the most recent (March) Windows 10 general update? Page loads in Edge started hanging up, blacking out, changing resolution, blinking when scrolling... weird stuff. Thought maybe the video card was flaking out, but video intensive games were unaffected. A 'known issue' for that update addresses a (possible) problem between legacy and 'new' Edge.

Momentarily set aside my hatred of all things Google and opened Chrome. Same problem, but to a lesser extent. Closed everything and restarted. No change. Uninstalled the update, restarted. No change.

Installed Firefox and it works with no issues. Curious to me.

Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 08:12 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,568,656 times
I'm glad you posted this. I'm having the exact same issues using Chrome, and thought it was a hardware problem. YouTube videos flash a blank screen for a moment, FB videos make the entire screen randomly flash. I hadn't connected it to a W10 update but the timing sounds about right.

I've been delaying going to W11 but now might be the time.

Old 03-20-2023, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
I'm glad you posted this. I'm having the exact same issues using Chrome, and thought it was a hardware problem. YouTube videos flash a blank screen for a moment, FB videos make the entire screen randomly flash. I hadn't connected it to a W10 update but the timing sounds about right.

I've been delaying going to W11 but now might be the time.

That's exactly what mine was doing... you said it better. Firefox doesn't seem to be affected.

Spouse put WIN11 on the laptop and it broke the camera/microphone. No word back from Microsoft for close to a month now on that problem. Techies couldn't fix it.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:54 AM

I managed to capture the problem just now. The video wasn't even playing, it was just on the screen.

https://imgur.com/a/TMjXWw7

Old 03-20-2023, 03:00 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
If it is only happening with a specific browser:
- Clear ALL its cache/cookies (can leave password/login info out): Hold down CTRL+SHIFT then DEL
- Check to see if there is an update to the browser
- Last resort; uninstall0reinstall the browser

Old 03-21-2023, 05:57 AM

Mine was both Edge and Chrome, both set to clear everything at every exit. Misery loves company... so it's good to hear it wasn't just me.

We all realize there's just a helluva lot going on in Windows, but it amazes me how often an update breaks something. I'm sure they test things prior to release... but maybe not enough.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:03 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Time to upgrade to 11 guys. I did and have absolutely no complaints.

I've been wanting to upgrade from W10 to W11 for a while but my nearly 10 year old ASUS Maximus VII Formula motherboard couldnt run it. This was the perfect reason to upgrade my MOB so now Im on ASUS ROG Strix Z-690 and am super super happy running win 11. While not as fancy and gamer feature friendly as the Maximus, its still a great MOB.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:30 PM

8,320 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Mine was both Edge and Chrome, both set to clear everything at every exit. Misery loves company... so it's good to hear it wasn't just me.
Based on initial post, both Edge and Chrome were having the problem. They are both using different engines.
They were both ALREADY installed on the computer at the time. Firefox was installed later on and not having the issue. The make more accurate analysis, I'd need to know if someone who had Firefox already installed prior to the so-called update, also having this issue or not.

If yes, then I'd again suggest uninstalling already installed 3rd party browser you are using, deleting all its leftovers afterwards (or use the free Revo Uninstaller).

If no, then the issue is more than likely has to be related/isolated to those 2 browsers (Edge/Chrome).

Still not clear enough but it is definitely not as wide spread. I am not having this issue with any of my computers at home or at work (3 PCs and 2 laptops). Also didn't notice it on any of the newly installed Windows on any of the customer machines either so quite possibly, an isolated issue where, if claims are true, it seems to be breaking the related functionality of the browsers.

All installed extensions and applications could be a factor as well as the version of the browsers and the issues that the OS might already have like a filesystem corruption or malware but because a fresh installed Firefox didn't have this issue, it is a momentary break so to speak, meaning whatever the issue is it didn't cause the same problem with Firefox. Why not?

Was it because of the engine FF is using different than the other two or the issue truly only affects Edge and Chrome?

Uninstall Chrome completely as aforementioned then do a fresh install to find out which of the above is likely the case.

It'd actually pretty cool to find out what happened after someone having this issue did an upgrade to Windows 11 without doing anything beforehand to the browsers in question.

That said, I'd not be shocked if the problem persisted after the upgrade though.

Quote:
We all realize there's just a helluva lot going on in Windows, but it amazes me how often an update breaks something. I'm sure they test things prior to release... but maybe not enough.
It is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to ensure an update will not cause any problems for anyone using their software. It just is. The question is, what is the root cause if NOT everyone is having this problem?
My guess is, a much less people than presumed, might be having the problem so if it is not wide-spread enough to raise a concern, there won't be a wide-spread fix either.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:45 PM

I had FF installed prior to the update and it's not experiencing the problem. Chrome is up to date and I did clear the cookies and cache but haven't uninstalled/reinstalled it yet. It's worth noting that the weird video behavior only happens on some websites, and only sporadically. And sometimes reloading the page fixes it temporarily. I also haven't been able to recreate the problem with Edge.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:52 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post

I thought Edge was now based on Chrome. Didn't that happen a year or so ago?

I use Firefox almost exclusively so I can't say I've noticed a problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers