Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2023, 03:56 PM

2,036 posts, read 992,671 times

Advertisements

If you can't find the exact match (and I highly doubt you will) you could just use a small piece of any rubber or stiff felt (like those furniture leg pads) of roughly the same thickness. All that matters is that it's the right thickness and placed such that the keyboard and monitor don't touch when you close the laptop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 04:36 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,683,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojka View Post
I don't have it. Any piece of rubber and use regular glue?
Use contact cement. Weldwood is the most common brand (you ought to have this on the shelf anyway).

Then shave it down to the same thickness as the others, to make sure the puter will switch off when you close the lid (or whatever action you have it set to do when you close it). Use a single edge razor blade for this (you should have a package of these on the shelf anyway).

Old 06-23-2023, 07:24 AM

From the hardware store:

- Most stores sell a little square about 5" square of generic red rubber for whatever purposes. Look in the plumbing section.
- There's a type of toilet valve that uses a ring of sheet rubber as a seal, about 3" diameter, you can buy just the ring as a replacement part.
- There'll be a large "weatherstrip and seal" section, where you can probably find something that works.
- Hose washers: small, easy to cut up, cheap.

You mentioned an eraser: go to the office supply store and buy a Pink Pearl eraser.
The white Mars erasers are a good grade of "rubber" and they don't get hard with age like the red ones.

There's always some kind of a make work solution.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:36 AM

82 posts, read 82,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
From the hardware store:

- Most stores sell a little square about 5" square of generic red rubber for whatever purposes. Look in the plumbing section.
- There's a type of toilet valve that uses a ring of sheet rubber as a seal, about 3" diameter, you can buy just the ring as a replacement part.
- There'll be a large "weatherstrip and seal" section, where you can probably find something that works.
- Hose washers: small, easy to cut up, cheap.

You mentioned an eraser: go to the office supply store and buy a Pink Pearl eraser.
The white Mars erasers are a good grade of "rubber" and they don't get hard with age like the red ones.

There's always some kind of a make work solution.
It has to be the exact color so it cannot be pink or red. I need the same material and size.

Old 06-23-2023, 09:37 AM

2,036 posts, read 992,671 times
Quote:
It has to be the exact color so it cannot be pink or red. I need the same material and size.
Good luck, I highly doubt you'd find the exact replacement and I'm not going down the rabbit hole any ore on this.

Old 06-23-2023, 11:07 AM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
I don't have it. Any piece of rubber and use regular glue?
Use adhesive strips that can be cut. Very cheap fix.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:10 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Or do nothing. This is not an important piece.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Why does it have to be the exact color? is someone grading you?

It's a machine. Humans designed it, humans repair it, you're a human deciding what to do with it. If you decide a red bumper is OK, then it's OK.

Old 06-25-2023, 08:03 AM

82 posts, read 82,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Why does it have to be the exact color? is someone grading you?

It's a machine. Humans designed it, humans repair it, you're a human deciding what to do with it. If you decide a red bumper is OK, then it's OK.
because that's how I like it. I don't want it to look ugly and stupid like some circus laptop that is not in excellent condition.

Old 06-25-2023, 12:23 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
because that's how I like it. I don't want it to look ugly and stupid like some circus laptop that is not in excellent condition.
If you can worry as much about that little piece of rubber/plastic as you have demonstrated in this thread, then you must have a great life. Jeepers. You asked for help and multiple people have made very valid suggestions. We're kind of at the end of the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers