Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2023, 09:25 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times

Advertisements

No matter how many times I click "remember this computer" there are a few sites that require a code verification.
I sorta don't mind when they're financial sites...extra security...but it doesn't happen on most of them.
So I'm curious, is it those sites or my machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2023, 01:14 AM

8,337 posts, read 13,477,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
No matter how many times I click "remember this computer" there are a few sites that require a code verification.
I sorta don't mind when they're financial sites...extra security...but it doesn't happen on most of them.
So I'm curious, is it those sites or my machine?
This is typically something with the browser you are using. By default, the browsers are set to keep session data, cookies as well as login creds. You either have those settings disabled or related data is being deleted either by you or some extension or 3rd party app.

So, whichever browser you are using check the settings first.
For example, (since most people are using Google or a variant of it) Go to:
- Settings > Autofill & Passwords > Google Password Manager > Settings and make sure "Offer to save passwords" (so it prompt you to see if you want to save login creds for the current site you were logging onto) is enable

Make sure the browser is also not configured to delete all browser data/cookies when closed.
Also when you are clearing browser data make sure the "Cookies and other site data" and Passwords and other sign-in data" options are not checked (so they are not deleted - see attached screenshot).

Not very common but certain security/privacy related browser extension could interrupt the site and browser properly caching the related data. If not sure, share which extensions you have installed and active.

If non of the above helped, there might be some sort of a corruption, quite possibly with the user data.
We can dig into that if it came to it so please share details on your browser and its version, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Don'r recognize this computer-google-chrome-clear-browser-data.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers