Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 01:58 PM

3,527 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

I have a new Windows 11 laptop. There is a very limited version of Word already. I think you can't even save files with it.

I tried Word Online but it is very limited. Like you can only save files to OneDrive. Also Autosave is always on. Why would you want AutoSave on all the time? You can't turn it off, on Word Online.

It looks like the only way I have can a full Word is to pay $69.99 for it, or a slightly different price monthly. Would it just tweak something on my computer so I'd be using the existing Word app but with no limitations?
(You can get a month for free, also.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2023, 05:45 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
Why not use one of the free options like Libre Office, OpenOffice or even Google docs?

Old 09-15-2023, 07:59 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Yes or Apache open office https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
No need for windows as its files will work with a windows and windows will work with Apache files. You can also get a spreadsheet an several other programs in the download,

Old 09-16-2023, 03:11 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Open Office is now defunct and hasn't been supported in 10 years, and the OP doesn't want to save his docs to the cloud, i.e. Microsoft Office or Google docs. I don't think there are any great solutions, particularly if you have a lot of existing documents and need a viable conversion.

Old 09-16-2023, 06:09 PM

I read that Apache OO Writer does not save files as docx files.
However, Libre OO Writer does. Accurate?

Old 09-16-2023, 06:46 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I read that Apache OO Writer does not save files as docx files.
However, Libre OO Writer does. Accurate?

Yes, see https://www.libreoffice.org/discover...vs-openoffice/

Old 09-16-2023, 07:17 PM

I loaded LibreWriter and yes, it can save files as docx files.
I wonder why Apache doesn't do that.

Aren't there advantages of having an official MS Office app, even though it's not free?

Some possible reasons are: people have been trained on MS Office and they prefer to use exactly the same thing.
There may be security/malware concerns?

Are there many things you can do with MS Office which you can't with Apache or Libre?

Old 09-16-2023, 11:08 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I loaded LibreWriter and yes, it can save files as docx files.
LibreOffice is awesome. I have been using it at home for years even though I have pretty much all MS Office versions up to 2019.

Quote:
Aren't there advantages of having an official MS Office app, even though it's not free?
Unless you need Outlook and/or some sort of integration with another paid program, I can't think of a single thing a typical home user would be missing out.

Quote:
Some possible reasons are: people have been trained on MS Office and they prefer to use exactly the same thing.
The learning curve, imho, is not greater than the one that comes with newer versions of MS Office.
Even application icons are similar with same colors (Blue for Word/Write, Green for Excel/Calc, Red for Powerpoint/Impress, etc.)

Quote:
There may be security/malware concerns?
None to my best knowledge. MS Office and Windows are targeted because of Microsoft.

Quote:
Are there many things you can do with MS Office which you can't with Apache or Libre?
Again, for most home users, LibreOffice is way more versatile. LibreOffice can actually do mild editing on PDF files. It can open and convert MS Works and Word Perfect files. MS Office cannot even handle MS Works files without installing couple of add-ons first!

I use it very lightly so I can't guarantee or know if LibreOffice is lacking certain functions or features that some really heavy Word, Excel or PP users might want.

That said, I install LibreOffice on all the home user computers we do fresh installs that didn't specifically asked to have MS Office installed and we hardly ever get anyone come back asking to buy MS Office instead.

Some helpful tips for those switching from MS Office to LibreOffice:
From the Menu bar> Tools > Options > General (change all the highlighted "Document types" to what the screenshot shows as "Save as" so the new files will be saved with a more recognizable file extension.
This could be very helpful especially if you will be sharing the files with others or plan to open them with MS Office on some other computer.

Next tip involves expanding LibreOffice's functionality and features with the help of additional extensions!
Attached Thumbnails
Buying Word, Word Online-libreoffice-tips.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-16-2023 at 11:27 PM..

Old 09-17-2023, 10:44 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Open Office is now defunct and hasn't been supported in 10 years, and the OP doesn't want to save his docs to the cloud, i.e. Microsoft Office or Google docs. I don't think there are any great solutions, particularly if you have a lot of existing documents and need a viable conversion.

Open Office is still funct. Last update was 4.1.14, date April 2023.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:02 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Why would you want to update OpenOffice anyway??? Mine is a very old one, and it works just fine. I never update anything, ever. There's no need for it. If something works, it works. The last time I updated anything was on a Linux machine and it committed suicide during the Linux "update". That was over 10 years ago, still using my Win 7 laptop w/ never an update, everything works great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers