Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2023, 05:58 PM

1,353 posts, read 788,324 times

Advertisements

Windows 10. How to uninstall Kingsoft?
When I click Uninstall, it shows Uninstalling for two seconds, but then it opens another window with >Data>Local>Kingsoft>WPS>cashe.
That is the end. Uninstall failed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 06:00 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,442,156 times
Sounds like you installed their Office software!

Well, if the app is working fine but just the uninstallation is bombing out, the uninstaller is corrupt or poorly developed (glitchy/buggy).

Typically, you have two options, either re-install the app and then try uninstalling it which would confirm whether the uninstaller was damaged or developed poorly.
Second option is to manually delete all its leftovers from the filesystem as well as the registry (not for the fainthearted but doable by most).

Try the first suggestion and if it is a no go, then try manually deleting the following:
- C:\ProgramData\Kingsoft
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kingsoft
- C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Kingsoft

and one registry key under HK_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kingsoft <-- Even after successfully uninstalling the app this key still remained behind!

On my test system, it actually installed easily after following thru a few screens and selecting applicable options. (See screenshots)
If you didn't even see the attached prompts, more than likely the uninstaller on your machine was either deleted or became corrupt. Try reinstalling the app first!

PS. It seems they copied Google Docs!
Attached Thumbnails
Kingsoft-wps-office-uninstall-01.jpg   Kingsoft-wps-office-uninstall-02.jpg   Kingsoft-wps-office-uninstall-03.jpg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 09-27-2023 at 06:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2023, 04:13 PM

Here are the results:
1.I reinstalled Kingsoft. It cannot be uninstalled again. Your prompts do not show up.
2. For the second approach: I deleted first and second pieces, according to your list. I do not know, where to find Roaming\Kingsoft.
3. Sorry, I do not know, where to find the registry key.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
Here are the results:
1.I reinstalled Kingsoft. It cannot be uninstalled again. Your prompts do not show up.
2. For the second approach: I deleted first and second pieces, according to your list. I do not know, where to find Roaming\Kingsoft.
3. Sorry, I do not know, where to find the registry key.
Something else must be off on your system to cause the app uninstaller to fail even after a reinstall...hmm.

OK, you deleted C:\ProgramData\Kingsoft and the C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Kingsoft directories, correct?

From the "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local" location, you can just click on the UP arrow once and it would take you one directory up to "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData" from there, you should be able to see "Roaming" directory, double-click on it and see if there is a Kingsoft folder. If yes, delete it as well.

For the Registry key, do START > RUN (or Windows Key + R) then type REGEDIT and click OK.
On the left pane, you will see 5 main hives, the second one from the top would be HK_CURRENT_USER
using the > on the left of it, you can expand it to display all the keys and subkeys within it.
So, browse to HK_CURRENT_USER > Software > Kingsoft by expanding each mentioned but on Kingsoft key, right-click to get the little menu from which you will select (left-click) on Delete as seen in the screenshot.
Click on YES to confirm. then you can simply reboot your computer.

If for any reason you do not feel comfortable then skip the registry part. I doubt it will prevent you from installing and using another Office suite.

Attached Thumbnails
Kingsoft-regedit-deleting-key.png  

Old 10-14-2023, 10:29 AM

I was able to find C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kingsoft.
It was not hard at all.
When I tried to delete, a new window popped up:

Folder in Use
The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program
Close the folder or file and try again

I closed ALL folders, just in case, and tried again. No files were open. This nasty window came back.

Old 10-15-2023, 07:42 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,565,748 times
If OP isn't familiar with the Registry, it would be best to not mess with deleting keys. It's too easy for bad things to happen. A stray entry shouldn't really cause any issues.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
I was able to find C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kingsoft.
It was not hard at all.
When I tried to delete, a new window popped up:

Folder in Use
The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program
Close the folder or file and try again

I closed ALL folders, just in case, and tried again. No files were open. This nasty window came back.
What nasty window came back?

It sounds like a process/service belonging to that program is still running in the background. If you have restarted the computer and got the same error when trying to delete the folder, that would mean it either has the related process in the "Startup" or it is actually a service set to start automatically.

You would have to check the SETTINGS (Windows key + i) > APPS > Startup and disable if you see anything related. If not, then you have to check Services control panel (but I don't recall seeing a related service)

Open Task Manager then select Services tab and see if you can locate a related service (a part of the service should be using the name of the application or developer). Focus on the "Status" column, it'd be "Running". Check description of the service to confirm that it is indeed related to the app.

If there is indeed a service or process that is preventing you from deleting the folder, it'd mean the said service or process actually resides in the folder you are trying to delete hence the error.

Old 10-15-2023, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
If OP isn't familiar with the Registry, it would be best to not mess with deleting keys. It's too easy for bad things to happen. A stray entry shouldn't really cause any issues.
Usually I'd agree but still, it is not brain surgery either.
This particular task, though not a must-do as mentioned, is fairly straightforward, especially with the detailed instructions.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:24 PM

Thank you. I will try.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:10 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Usually I'd agree but still, it is not brain surgery either.
This particular task, though not a must-do as mentioned, is fairly straightforward, especially with the detailed instructions.

As long as you back it up first, I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers