Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 08:25 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times

Advertisements

For a while now I've been getting the flash banner that says Gmail is changing to Outlook, and today, clicking the mail icon redirects to the sign in and change page until I close that and open mail again.

It used to be a minor PITA to change your Email. Nowadays it's a major PITA and a BFD to do it. If you're retired and plugged into government websites, it's worse still.

Question number one that I haven't found the definitive answer to is if I (and millions of other people) will have to change email address when moved.

Question number two is whether or not they're going to sync everything to the cloud whether we like it or not if we do change, or if we can turn that option off like we can now (in theory!)

Lil' help?

Last edited by Seguinite; 11-08-2023 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: edit becuse this forum seems to be inserting multiple line spacing lately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 08:58 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I'm sorry, what? Gmail...from Google....is moving to Outlook? From Microsoft?
2 of the largest competitors on Earth have buried the hatchet and...what? Are merging now?
I promise you Gmail is not changing anything or going anywhere. Google is a million percent committed to Gmail.
Can you share a photo this banner you are seeing? This is either some ad from Microsoft trying to get you to switch to Outlook (doubt this) or you have some malware on your computer trying to steal your passwords.
This would be huge news too, if it were true. Everyone would be talking about it.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:02 AM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
For a while now I've been getting the flash banner that says Gmail is changing to Outlook, and today, clicking the mail icon redirects to the sign in and change page until I close that and open mail again.

It used to be a minor PITA to change your Email. Nowadays it's a major PITA and a BFD to do it. If you're retired and plugged into government websites, it's worse still.

Question number one that I haven't found the definitive answer to is if I (and millions of other people) will have to change email address when moved.

Question number two is whether or not they're going to sync everything to the cloud whether we like it or not if we do change, or if we can turn that option off like we can now (in theory!)

Lil' help?
That's a scam looking to steal your email account for nefarious purposes. Gmail is not moving to outlook

Old 11-08-2023, 11:02 AM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I was confused. It's not a scam, it's Windows Mail and not Gmail specifically (what I use on the PC with Gmail) going to the new Outlook at some indeterminate, likely complete by late 2024.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/mone...w/70488934007/

Old 11-08-2023, 11:05 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
It's a client change - basically, a rebranding, as long as you don't have to pay anything.

Old 11-09-2023, 04:57 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Out of curiosity, what benefit does Windows Mail give you? I just point my browser to mail.google.com for my Gmail.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:40 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
You don't need to go to a browser. It's a program on your PC. But that's now what NEW Outlook is. NEW Outlook is...on a browser just like Gmail.

Old 11-10-2023, 11:40 AM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Out of curiosity, what benefit does Windows Mail give you? I just point my browser to mail.google.com for my Gmail.
At home, it really simplifies accessing multiple mail accounts, one of the main reasons why I started using Thunderbird again. The latest version is also very nice and stable.
It makes adding and setting up any of the popular web mail accounts super easy, especially if you are not using 2-step verification (the 2FA would require the assignment of an "app password" from that accounts security panel).
Still, it was very straight forward.

I just started a personal business so, instead of having to have to keep checking any of the accounts/pages, I access and use them all from one app.

I could use one of the many versions of Outlook I have but I rather support the opensource Mozilla group.
The new version has a more intuitive interface, it is fast, simple and works like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
Gmail to Outlook-new-thunderbird-.jpg   Gmail to Outlook-new-thunderbird-2-.jpg  

Old 11-10-2023, 12:55 PM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
it really simplifies accessing multiple mail accounts, one of the main reasons why I started using Thunderbird again.
mail.google.com does that with no mail client on any of my devices.

Last edited by akrausz; 11-10-2023 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-10-2023, 02:44 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
mail.google.com does that with no mail client on any of my devices.
I am sure they do. The more data they get their hands on, the better (for them).
Even if that wasn't the case, I still like a locally installed customizable client much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers