Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 07:21 PM

68,352 posts, read 54,513,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You don't need to do this unless you willingly gave them direct access to your computer. You said you called them. Did you give them access to your computer through a remote access program?
If not, you don't need to do this. As I said in the LONG post I wrote.

It's not.

Thanks, I appreciate the input!

Unfortunately I did, desperation makes one do stupid things I already removed that program and I'd downloaded a program called Total AV. seemed to be working for a while, lap-top functioning normally but then the screen would go black with veiled threats in red letters. Shut down with the power button, wait a while and reboot and it seems normal for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 08:35 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,616,049 times
Since you still get a virus message run Total AV again, scan all files on the drive. And I would also download malware bytes free version and run a full scan all files on the drive.

Old 12-02-2023, 03:09 AM

1,115 posts, read 660,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Unfortunately I did...
So, to be clear on what happened, you are now saying your computer prompted you to install something and you went ahead and installed it?

Old 12-02-2023, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Since you still get a virus message run Total AV again, scan all files on the drive. And I would also download malware bytes free version and run a full scan all files on the drive.

I did run Total AV again and all seemed well for a few hours and then I go one of those thinly veiled threat messages that took up the whole screen, shut it down, let it sit and it went away.

My question now is I know you can restore Windows to a point in the past. Since this only happened a few days ago, will restoring the system to say like a week ago cure the problem?

Old 12-02-2023, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
So, to be clear on what happened, you are now saying your computer prompted you to install something and you went ahead and installed it?

Yeah, IIRC it was titled Ultraviewer but I've removed it.

Old 12-03-2023, 06:46 AM

Well, I'm starting to believe I may have dodged a bullet. Installed Malwarebytes, first scan detected/quarantined 3 threats. all scans since came up clean, no problems with bank account and no further strange things happening with the laptop.

Old 12-03-2023, 08:18 AM

1,115 posts, read 660,221 times
Quote:
the screen came on with warnings and giving me a number to call which is allegedly MicroSoft Security.
Unfortunately, enough people fall for this that scammers keep doing it. The scam is tricking people into thinking their computer needs to be rescued, when in reality, rescue service phone numbers (Microsoft or anybody else) do not appear on people's computers when there is a problem.

Malwarebytes is good. Also some familiarization with Windows Security might be helpful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-6a39afb6a963
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-ff533f183d6c

Last edited by akrausz; 12-03-2023 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-03-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Unfortunately, enough people fall for this that scammers keep doing it. The scam is tricking people into thinking their computer needs to be rescued, when in reality, rescue service phone numbers (Microsoft or anybody else) do not appear on people's computers when there is a problem.

Malwarebytes is good. Also some familiarization with Windows Security might be helpful:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-6a39afb6a963
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-ff533f183d6c

Somewhere in the past I'd read an article claiming Windows Security was all you really needed. Maybe so but Malwarebytes was quick and painless and a small price to pay for seemingly solving my problem. All seems well and fingers crossed it actually is.

Old 12-04-2023, 02:06 PM

3,658 posts, read 1,616,049 times
Quote:
Well, I'm starting to believe I may have dodged a bullet. Installed Malwarebytes, first scan detected/quarantined 3 threats. all scans since came up clean, no problems with bank account and no further strange things happening with the laptop.
Great! Let us know if it doesn't come back in a few days or so. If not, looks like Malwarebytes removed it. The free version does not have real time prevention so you have to do a manual, or scheduled scan, yourself. Totally worth it. I don't use an AV but I do use Malwarebytes. Never click on popups, email attachments or links, or download risky programs.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
Great! Let us know if it doesn't come back in a few days or so. If not, looks like Malwarebytes removed it. The free version does not have real time prevention so you have to do a manual, or scheduled scan, yourself. Totally worth it. I don't use an AV but I do use Malwarebytes. Never click on popups, email attachments or links, or download risky programs.

They offered me the first year for $2.81/mo and given all the aggravation I've had I thought that quite a deal. The first scan said 3 problems detected and quarantined. After that I like how it automatically runs a scan in the background when I boot it up and even more like the little window that appears when the scan is done saying no problems detected. So far, so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers