Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 01:44 PM

3,566 posts, read 6,587,658 times

Advertisements

I have Windows 11 and started using OneDrive. When I take a photo with the built-in camera app, it saves the images to OneDrive by default. I see no place to change it so that it saves to my own C drive. I found some threads of people asking the same thing. (Of course I can move the photos to my own drive.)

If I was not connected to the Internet, would that mean I wouldn't be able to save stuff from the camera app? Or would it save to my C drive?

I want to clarify that when you have a OneDrive account and you save a file to it, it saves exactly one copy, only to OneDrive and not my own device, is that right?

If logged out of OneDrive, I suddenly wouldn't see those files on my FileExplorer, is that right? But I think I tried this once, and I still saw those files in FileExplorer.

Also, I had the Zoom app before I had OneDrive. Later on I made a desktop icon for Zoom. The desktop icon itself is saved to my OneDrive, not my C drive. Why would that be, considering it's just a desktop icon? Again, does this mean if I wasn't on the internet, I wouldn't see the desktop icon??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 02:54 PM

1,148 posts, read 681,041 times
OneDrive on my laptop is configured to sync with the OneDrive cloud service, so the files are stored in both locations. I don't need to be on the internet and I can still see the files on my laptop.

Old 12-17-2023, 05:37 PM

If a file is stored in both places, but the path says OneDrive in it, are you saying there's a second copy on my own devices? But if so, where?

(I'm talking about when you right click on the desktop icon (or a file in File Explorer) and select Properties and it shows the location.)

Old 12-18-2023, 05:47 AM

1,148 posts, read 681,041 times
The default location for your OneDrive folder is in your user profile folder. How to find your user profile folder:
https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000109.htm

Last edited by akrausz; 12-18-2023 at 06:41 AM..

Old 12-18-2023, 07:10 AM

16,610 posts, read 19,845,129 times
If there is a cloud next to the icon, your file is ONLY on the Onedrive website. If there is a green check mark in a circle, it is being synched and is in both places. If you are not online and save a file to your OneDrive folder, it will synch to the cloud next time you are online.

Info from MS:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...6-77b79b6dbb30

Old 12-18-2023, 05:17 PM

Is there a difference between the OneDrive app and File Explorer?

In some folders, there is a cloud or green check - in other folders, not at all.

Thanks for the help page, but I don't have Recent on the left.

What confuses me is that on the left, some mean a folder - others mean a collection of files that are in different folders, like Pictures. This is called Photos on that help page.

Old 12-18-2023, 05:37 PM

Wait, that help video is the OneDrive web page. Of course the OneDrive app look different.

When I start the OneDrive app, if I look in Task Manager and it lists File Explorer.

Also on the taskbar, File Explorer is underlined. OneDrive is not.

Old 12-19-2023, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Is there a difference between the OneDrive app and File Explorer?
No, the OD app just takes you to file explorer.

Quote:
In some folders, there is a cloud or green check - in other folders, not at all.
In the left pane of File Explorer should be a ROBERT-ONEDRIVE option. Everything inside there should have one or the other.

If you right click that folder do you have an option for ALWAYS KEEP ON THIS DEVICE?

Quote:
What confuses me is that on the left, some mean a folder - others mean a collection of files that are in different folders, like Pictures. This is called Photos on that help page.

Probably just the difference between Windows Versions. Everything on the left is a folder.

Old 12-19-2023, 11:24 AM

If starting the OneDrive App just starts File Explorer, what is the point in even having a OneDrive App?
This app came with Windows 11 by default. You're supposed to do something to get it for earlier Windows, but what did that do, if the OneDrive App is really just File Explorer??

If a file has a cloud symbol next to it, and I'm always on the internet, how do I make it so that it has a green check? I'm not clear if downloading that file would do this.

On the left pane of File Explorer, one of the things is Gallery which is not a folder. It's images from either OneDrive or my own devices, regardless of where it is saved. The examples on help pages are not like mine.

Old 12-19-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
If starting the OneDrive App just starts File Explorer, what is the point in even having a OneDrive App?
Ii does MORE then just that. If you click the OD app by the clock and click OPEN FOLDER it takes you to File Explorer. If you click VIEW ONLINE it takes you...online. You can also click the gear up top and change a bunch of setting and choose what to back up.
Is this what you see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers