Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2024, 01:37 AM

20,790 posts, read 8,621,796 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your detailed reply. The battery was installed Feb. 2023. Past batteries lasted longer than a year.

If it's a bad battery it seems strange that all I have to do when it goes black is squeeze and press the battery firmly in place and it's fine. If I accidentally jostle the laptop, it goes black so that seems like a loose connection. A friend suggested getting gaffer tape to hold it firmly. I just have clear shipping tape as it's all I have at the moment.

Just noticed the battery indicator on taskbar now says '2 min. 95% remaining' while it's plugged in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2024, 02:00 AM

8,342 posts, read 13,485,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Thank you for your detailed reply. The battery was installed Feb. 2023. Past batteries lasted longer than a year.
Well, age these days doesn't guarantee much, especially with all the unknown "Made in China" aftermarket stuff. I have seen brand new battery being faulty out of the box, neither too common nor too rare.

Quote:
If it's a bad battery it seems strange that all I have to do when it goes black is squeeze and press the battery firmly in place and it's fine. If I accidentally jostle the laptop, it goes black so that seems like a loose connection.
Why is the connection loose? Was the replacement battery somehow smaller than the OEM/original battery?
Or were you referring to the connector? If you touch the cords and the connector and the power cuts out, then there is your problem. You just have to determine what part of the connection/connector is the culprit.
Again, it might just be best to replace the battery depending on where the problem is.

Quote:
A friend suggested getting gaffer tape to hold it firmly. I just have clear shipping tape as it's all I have at the moment.

Just noticed the battery indicator on taskbar now says '2 min. 95% remaining' while it's plugged in.
Not sure about the gaffer tape. It is single sided and can be a bit thick. Probably a double-sided electronics tape would be better but your call.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

232 posts, read 191,588 times
Open Command prompt.
Type powercfg /batteryreport

You might get some information that helps you

Old Today, 05:38 PM

20,790 posts, read 8,621,796 times
Several months ago I tripped over the cord and yanked it out. That corner has always been a little loose ever since. I can squeeze it tightly and it's fine for a while. I suppose popping the hard drive (itself just over a year old) into a new "outer shell" of a computer would fix it permanently but I don't want to spend the money now

Now it says fully charged 100%. As long as it's still running I'm not going to worry.

Thanks to all who responded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers