Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Buy a computer: CRT monitor , laptop display, taxes, dell, USB hard drive.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,467,443 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I love technology but I am not a computer geek so whatever I get needs to have some good customer service to back it up.

I prefer using a laptop because I have a wireless modum and I can use it anywhere in the house. I probably won't have the money to purchase both a laptop AND a desk top.

I had thought about getting a really good laptop AND an external harddrive that I could keep on my desk. I already have one of those stands that my printer/scanner, my mouse and keyboard plugs into so I can use them at my desk.

I'm into music, photography, photoshop. I play games but not things like World of Warcraft, most of my gaming is console based.

I am returning to school in the fall and will want to be able to take a laptop to class with me so I can take notes and do homework etc.

I have looked into Dell laptops because I always heard they have good customer service. They sell a NICE gaming laptop for $2,000. What would be the point in someone like me who doesn't play that kind of game, investing in that kind of laptop? Are there other uses that I might find helpful for the extra bells and whistles on a laptop like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 AM

27,381 posts, read 27,425,580 times
I too, would eventually like to get another computer but its a tie between the laptop or the Dash (cellphone with internet capability). I know 2 people who have the Dash and use it frequently, and are very, very pleased with it. Less bulky for travel, can long into anything just about anywhere, and can fit right into your pocket.
Either way, if and when the time comes to look for another, its always a good idea to take someone with you, who can look at it and make sure its not already loaded down with a bunch of stuff you dont want, namely AOL.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM

23,622 posts, read 70,547,084 times
Just a couple comments here. Dell support for consumer products is different than the support for the business users. IIRC, it was farmed out to India and people were having problems. Dunno whether it has been moved back to the U.S. or not. I also seem to remember they had deals for students and a replacement guarantee that could be purchased. It would be worthwhile to ask.

If you are into Photoshop, you are better off with a CRT monitor than a laptop display. The difference is significant.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:34 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,681,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm into music, photography, photoshop.
This statement, to me, screams "Mac". Have you looked at that route at all?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,519,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
This statement, to me, screams "Mac". Have you looked at that route at all?
I agree it sounds like you want a Mac. IPhoto, GarageBand and ITunes come free with a new Mac and nothing beats Photoshop on a Mac.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,756,140 times
When I send clients to Dell for a purchase I always have them go through Small Business. I have only had one report of the sales person at Dell balking because of it.

As for the $2000 laptop you might consider spending less on the computer and use the difference for accessories, software, etc. If you travel then a $1000 difference in price would pay for about 15 months of Verizon or Sprint usage through their cell structure.

Considering what you are interested in I would say the items you should max out are RAM, disk speed (7200 rpm vs. 5400), and CPU speed. Dual core CPUs can really boost the speed with the correct setup.

As for a Mac, well Macs are nice for those who like them. I don't, but that's just me. I have a problem paying a premium for equipment that's not any better than I get elsewhere. Besides, with the new software available for Windows the "We're better for graphics" claim is pretty much a no show.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM

743 posts, read 2,071,133 times
Normally, I would recommend Dell if it weren't for their India-based tech support and customer service. (I had to cancel my order for a notebook because they told me that upgrading to priority shipping requires the purchase order to be reissued. Meaning that lead time starts again from scratch.) Either go with a Mac (as others have recommended), or if you prefer PC check out Toshiba. They are pretty reliable and many new models have wireless internet. XP Pro platform is good to have, but not all Toshiba models comes with it.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM

43,372 posts, read 77,271,918 times
I like my Dell laptop, three Dell Printers, and the service I have received.
I tend to buy Dell refurbs, and don't have any issue.

The keyboard on this one is worn out in 2 years, and I will have it replaced on site for free within a day or two of making the call.

When it is time for a new laptop, I will shop Dell Outlet first.

I also like the previous advice from Tek Freek to go through Small Business instead of home.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:58 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,891 times
I went to the Dell site and noticed they have a people who can, from a remote location, diagnose the problem and fix it. This is all through a broadband connection.

But there are plenty of good boards on the Internet if you want to learn more about being computer savvy.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,914,550 times
Lindsey - I just bought a Dell laptop last week. In fact it hasn't shipped yet. I paid $1,173 with taxes, including Microsoft Office and a one year 24/7 in home support. I paid extra for upgraded memory, and a slightly faster processor. I also paid for 36-months worth of McAfee. Let me know if you want the complete specs and I'll e-mail it to you!

Edit: I wanted to add that I opted to have and upgraded to XP Pro on this one. Dell's website said they would only sell XP laptops thru 6/10, HP through 6/18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers