Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 03:50 AM

477 posts, read 300,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
CTRL+z is simply UNdo (last action) when you are in "edit" mode whether it is text or image.
Agreed! It is an undo function, not a select/unselect function, unlike the way the other poster claimed to use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2024, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I only use Ctrl+Z if I mistakenly delete a bunch of text that I want to restore. I deleted some text in this reply and tried Ctrl+click and it did nothing. Maybe I'm using it wrong?
You stated earlier that you use Ctrl+Z to select individual files. That's where I said you should be using Ctrl+click.

To (hopefully) clear up the Ctrl+click situation, let me give you an example. Say you're in Windows Explorer and you want to select a group of files so you can move them, delete them, whatever (it doesn't matter). If you wanted to select all of them, you could click the first file, then hold down Shift and click the last file. The use of the Shift key in this case will select everything in between the two files that you clicked.

New situation: Now let's say that you have 10 files and you only want to select 3 of the files (file 2, 5, and 9). You can't use the Shift key like you did above because it will select all files between the first file selected and the last file selected and you'll have files selected that you don't want selected. So in order to select these files, you click file 2, then hold down Ctrl and click file 5 and then file 9. This is the "Crtl+click" that I was referring to in my other reply. You stated that you use Crtrl+Z in this case instead of Ctrl+click. I said that using Ctrl+Z in that case makes no sense.

Last example: Say you have 100 files and you want to select all but 5 of them. It would be very tedious to Ctrl+click on 95 files. Instead, you could click the first file, hold down Shift and click the last file. At this point, all files will be selected. Now release the Shift key and press the Ctrl key and select the 5 files that you don't want. Clicking them with the Ctrl key will toggle them from selected to unselected.

Use Shift for a group of consecutive files and Ctrl for individual files. Also note that Ctrl+A (Select all) can be substituted for click the first file, hold down Shift, click the last file.

Last edited by 44echo; 05-21-2024 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: I didn't realize who I was replying to.

Old 05-21-2024, 09:13 AM

5,482 posts, read 3,574,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
You stated earlier that you use Ctrl+Z to select individual files. That's where I said you should be using Ctrl+click.

To (hopefully) clear up the Ctrl+click situation, let me give you an example. Say you're in Windows Explorer and you want to select a group of files so you can move them, delete them, whatever (it doesn't matter). If you wanted to select all of them, you could click the first file, then hold down Shift and click the last file. The use of the Shift key in this case will select everything in between the two files that you clicked.

New situation: Now let's say that you have 10 files and you only want to select 3 of the files (file 2, 5, and 9). You can't use the Shift key like you did above because it will select all files between the first file selected and the last file selected and you'll have files selected that you don't want selected. So in order to select these files, you click file 2, then hold down Ctrl and click file 5 and then file 9. This is the "Crtl+click" that I was referring to in my other reply. You stated that you use Crtrl+Z in this case instead of Ctrl+click. I said that using Ctrl+Z in that case makes no sense.

Last example: Say you have 100 files and you want to select all but 5 of them. It would be very tedious to Ctrl+click on 95 files. Instead, you could click the first file, hold down Shift and click the last file. At this point, all files will be selected. Now release the Shift key and press the Ctrl key and select the 5 files that you don't want. Clicking them with the Ctrl key will toggle them from selected to unselected.

Use Shift for a group of consecutive files and Ctrl for individual files. Also note that Ctrl+A (Select all) can be substituted for click the first file, hold down Shift, click the last file.
Bolded above: you have me confused with some other poster. The only time I use Ctrl-Z to to undo a delete if I accidently delete something I'm typing in a file or even in a thread like this.

But thanks for your post, it's very helpful!

Old 05-21-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Bolded above: you have me confused with some other poster. The only time I use Ctrl-Z to to undo a delete if I accidently delete something I'm typing in a file or even in a thread like this.
It appears to me that I don't have you confused. Your first reply in this topic...

Quote:
Try CTRL-Z. That might be what you are looking for if you are using Windows, I don't know what it would be on a Mac.

The keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Z is used to undo an action, such as deleting characters or paragraphs in a text editor, or quickly reversing changes in an image editing application. It can also be used to undo actions while navigating folders, such as moving or deleting files. For example, you can select multiple items at once by highlighting the first item and then pressing and holding Ctrl + Z while selecting each additional item.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:22 AM

5,482 posts, read 3,574,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44echo View Post
It appears to me that I don't have you confused. Your first reply in this topic...
okay , I'll admit I did post that but I got the information starting with "The keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Z is used to undo an action" from a google search... I only use Ctrl-Z when I mistakenly delete something I'm typing. I guess I need to start reading everything more closely that I get from google.

Old 05-21-2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
okay , I'll admit I did post that but I got the information starting with "The keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Z is used to undo an action" from a google search... I only use Ctrl-Z when I mistakenly delete something I'm typing. I guess I need to start reading everything more closely that I get from google.
It's all good.

Old Today, 04:32 PM

2 posts
I have had this happen on a PC I used to have. It happens when you activate overtype mode on your PC. You activate it by pressing the insert key. You can also remove it the same way.

I hope that helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers