Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM

208 posts, read 872,619 times

Advertisements

I am a computer illiterate,all I do online is get email and some research.My very old IBM 500 is developing problems with Windows 98(DDL error?) and Explorer is a frequent crasher.Should I just get my computer wiped and reinstalled or buy a new desktop? They all seem to have a lot of bells and whistles that I don't want or need and prefer not to pay for.Who sells a cheap,simple computer? The only thing I have ever replaced in this computer is a video card,makes the modem 8? years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 09:43 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,886 times
I'd buy a new pc.

Go to Dell, Toshiba or HP's websites and order one.

Only thing I'd recommend you have is at least 1GB of RAM to run Windows Vista... preferably 2GB.

If you're up for learning a new operating system, I'd recommend trying Ubuntu Linux, or buy a mac (which will be more expensive).

If you use Linux, you can conceivably get $100 or so off the price of a PC. But, its not the easiest thing to learn.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,123,272 times
Maybe you're a good candidate for MSN TV, instead of a computer? My mother-in-law uses the Internet in the ways you described. She has used a Web TV box, and more recently and MSN TV 2 for years and she loves it. She doesn't want the hassle of owning and maintaining a computer, so it's perfect for her.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:07 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
Yeah, probably a new machine is best, but he might be able to fix this dll problem if we knew the exact error message.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Dig out the Windows '98 CD.

Go into Windows and insert the CD. When it starts (or browse to it if it doesn't and look for and run setup.exe) Install Windows.

W98 will completely reinstall all the system files (missing dll and Explorer crashing) and not touch your documents, pictures, etc.

I've done this countless times and never had any problems unless I added new hardware. If you have it will ask for the drivers (video card).

All this assumes you have the CD (diskettes?) for W98 and the drivers for the video card and perhaps the modem.

As I tell many of my clients: if it works for what you need, and installing Windows fixes the problem, why buy a new PC? That is, of course, unless you want a new one?

Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM

23,603 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Tek-freek nailed it. Just be sure to do a backup of your data files before re-installing. There is a possibility that the hard drive could just be starting to go a little wonky.

The full instructions can be found here. I used to have a link to Leo Laport's simple step-by-step guide, but didn't run across it just now. This link is even more long-winded than I am sometimes.

Smart Computing Article - Reinstall Windows 98 (http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r1006/23r06/23r06.asp&guid - broken link)

Old 06-25-2008, 05:38 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Avoid Vista as it will require more powerful hardware to run appropriately. For what you need it for, the cheapest machine will be fine. Just make sure it has Windows XP and not Vista. It will run considerably faster and without as many issues.

Old 06-25-2008, 06:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Tek-freek nailed it. Just be sure to do a backup of your data files before re-installing. There is a possibility that the hard drive could just be starting to go a little wonky.

The full instructions can be found here. I used to have a link to Leo Laport's simple step-by-step guide, but didn't run across it just now. This link is even more long-winded than I am sometimes.

Smart Computing Article - Reinstall Windows 98 (http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r1006/23r06/23r06.asp&guid - broken link)
Absolutely! Good catch harry!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:45 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,135,377 times
I might consider Xubuntu if I were in his place.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:45 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
I'd buy a new pc.

Go to Dell, Toshiba or HP's websites and order one.

Only thing I'd recommend you have is at least 1GB of RAM to run Windows Vista... preferably 2GB.

If you're up for learning a new operating system, I'd recommend trying Ubuntu Linux, or buy a mac (which will be more expensive).

If you use Linux, you can conceivably get $100 or so off the price of a PC. But, its not the easiest thing to learn.
I would say 2 gigs minimum with vista, 3 if you can afford it.

Linux is definatly not an OS for new users, I have been fighting with ubuntu all night to mount my darn second hard drive that it does NOT want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers