Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

Yes, I was going to bring that up. On the laptop I'm using (was wife's; now mine), it only had 256. I put to gigs in it. It makes a difference.

One more thing: Most programs are pretty easy to get rid of, but Norton is another animal, altogether. Symantec has a removal tool for it.

I just found another possible solution, which may accomplish the same thing as the Norton removal tool. You would have to be comfortable editing the registry, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:00 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
The MacBook is without a doubt the best computer I have ever used. In the year I've had it, it's done remarkably well with at least 8 hours a day of usage (I use it for work and everything else). The hard drive did fail last week, but the Apple Store replaced it in store that day. It was like getting a brand new computer back. I'm about to buy an iMac desktop, mostly to give my MacBook some rest. I also need the bigger screen and power for some projects I'm taking on.

Spend a few extra dollars and get a Mac. You won't regret it. You can even install Windows to run natively right alongside the Apple OS. Windows runs faster and with more stability on an Apple than it does on many PCs.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:18 PM

718 posts, read 1,149,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
The MacBook is without a doubt the best computer I have ever used. In the year I've had it, it's done remarkably well with at least 8 hours a day of usage (I use it for work and everything else). The hard drive did fail last week, but the Apple Store replaced it in store that day. It was like getting a brand new computer back. I'm about to buy an iMac desktop, mostly to give my MacBook some rest. I also need the bigger screen and power for some projects I'm taking on.

Spend a few extra dollars and get a Mac. You won't regret it. You can even install Windows to run natively right alongside the Apple OS. Windows runs faster and with more stability on an Apple than it does on many PCs.
Ditto on the Mac! Except maybe for games. But since I'm not big on games, I love my Mac.

I bought my Powerbook in early 2006, same as the OP. Have never had a problem with the Mac. It runs as smooth now as it did when I bought it, even with tons of software I've installed. I've been more productive on the Mac than on my PCs.

That being said, all my old PCs and laptops have been reborn by wiping out Windows and installing Linux - Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Linux Mint, Puppy Linux and Damn Small Linux.

I'm free from Windows and don't even miss it.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
My very first computer was an HP desktop that I bought in 1998 and it lasted and was a good computer up until about 2004. At that time I bought a dell desktop which is still an awesome computer! I loaded it up with the best of the best at that time and it is super fast, except i have to use dial-up with it and that is snail speed. Two years ago in 2006 I purchased a dell laptop (Inspiron 6000 customized). I havbe never been happy with it at all! It has always been slow to start up and respond. It freezes constantly and the older it gets the more problems it has. I am shopping for a new laptop, and I want one that is going to last! I have been checking out the HP's and the reviews seem great for the most part. What are your opinions on laptops? I want it to be fast and have plenty of storage for my digital photos and videos. I also want it to be fast online. BUT i don't want to spend a lot...
Install Linux (Ubuntu or Linux Mint) on your Dell laptop. It will fly again!

Download the ISO file, create the install disk and try them first, without installing Linux. Or, go to the Ubuntu site and order the CD.

You don't want to spend a lot? Linux is free!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:21 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Unless you've added additional software that require more resources, the degradation you are seeing is most likely a software issue (i.e. same applications.. but things just start to get slower). And what others have suggested (rebuilding, getting rid of unnecessary software etc.) should help to an extent. This is simply part of maintenance - any computer that's not "maintained" will most likely experience a decrease in performance over time. Including the latest/greatest.... so I guess my suggestion would be to see if rebuilding your current system will suffice.

I would also agree on the Thinkpads - they were rock solid when I used the in my last job. Of course, this was also before IBM sold that unit off. HP/Compaq's business class laptops are also very solid (I like to think they retained some of the durability of the DEC laptops).

As for Mac's... I personally prefer them over PC's... but that, as I said, is a personal thing. I will say though, either CNet or PCWord had a laptop review late last year on the best Vista laptop..... it was a Mac. Keep in mind though, the test was based on performance only... value was not considered.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
I was wondering about keeping my XP but also using Mint. My HD is only 40 gigs, and it has about 68% free space. Anycomments? Should I think about getting a bigger HD?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I was wondering about keeping my XP but also using Mint. My HD is only 40 gigs, and it has about 68% free space. Anycomments? Should I think about getting a bigger HD?
My PC too has a 40 gig HD. I retained XP in one partition and installed LinuxMint in the other, roughly 20 gigs apiece. So far, it's been working great. I am writing from the LinuxMint environment now but can also use XP when I need to.

Prior to re-partitioning and installing LinuxMint, I booted the machine with the LinuxMint install CD just to get a feel for it. Used it for a couple of days without installing it. Since I was happy with it, I decided to install it then.

The LinuxMint install process was flawless. It found XP, gave me information about the hard drive and prompted me whether I wanted to create a separate partition for LinuxMint or to use the full hard drive. I chose to retain XP and it proceeded to repartition the hard drive and install LinuxMint in the other partition.

A minor complaint I have, though, would be that in the dual-bot prompt (Grub), if I don't choose Windows XP specifically, the machine will boot into LinuxMint after a few seconds. So when you boot up the machine, you have to make sure you choose which OS you want to start. If you don't choose, LinuxMint will be the default.

There might be a way to override this, but I haven't spent time trying to find it as it is a minor issue.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,529 times
Thanks for all the replies! I can use a computer all day long, but when it comes to deleting and adding things, its better left to someone who knows what they are doing. The system quite honestly never ran anywhere near what my desktop runs. I am seriously just thinking about taking it to the shop and getting it a check-up and then giving it to my mom and getting myself a new one. I see a lot of you like Mac, but I have always been told to not even go there because of compatability issues with lots of programs...thoughts on that??

Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTNFAM View Post
I see a lot of you like Mac, but I have always been told to not even go there because of compatability issues with lots of programs...thoughts on that??
When it comes to computers, if you're the type of person who leaves things to people "who know what they're doing" (as you said), then it's highly unlikely that you use any programs that would have compatibility issues. MS Office is 100% compatible (there is no MS Access for Mac, though). The Adobe Creative Suite programs are 100% compatible.

With the newer Macs, you can install Windows and have essentially two operating systems on one computer (choose which one you want at startup), which means if you really need Windows for something you can do it with the same quality and speed that you would have on a PC (actually better in a lot of cases).

I used to be biased against Macs. I've been using one for a year now and I will never go back

Old 07-31-2008, 05:01 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post

A minor complaint I have, though, would be that in the dual-bot prompt (Grub), if I don't choose Windows XP specifically, the machine will boot into LinuxMint after a few seconds. So when you boot up the machine, you have to make sure you choose which OS you want to start. If you don't choose, LinuxMint will be the default.

There might be a way to override this, but I haven't spent time trying to find it as it is a minor issue.
Yes - under /boot/grub/ there is a file called menu.lst ....

That's the config file that show all the boot sections - one of them being your Windows. Towards the top, there should be a line that reads: Default 0.

Change that 0 to match your Windows section... and you should be set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers