Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I have a Gateway Notebook under 2 years old and now the notebook freezes up after about 5-10 minutes running. I called Gateway Customer Service and was told that there was only a 1 year warranty on the notebook. It appears the fan may be defected which is causing the notebook to overheat. Has anyone experienced this problem with their Gateway notebook, if so how much did it cost to fix? I will be taking in for a look, but most places charge about $100.00 just to walk in...Any Gateway Notebook owners out there that have experienced problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 09:50 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Do you do routine maintenance on it? It could be that the vents are just clogged with dust. I pull the bottom off my laptop every six months or so and blow the dust bunnies out of the cooling ducts - you'd be surprised how much stuff collects in there. All that stuff blocks air, which keeps your fans from doing their job and ultimately causes your system to heat up too much.

If there's really a defective part in there, there's probably more value in replacing the notebook than getting it repaired, unless your a gamer or need a high-end notebook for some other reason. If you use it just for email/web/etc., then you can get a brand new one for just a few hundred bucks.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:06 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
If you open it up, make sure it's not warm. And you might use the air sparingly so you don't shorten the life of critical parts. That air is cold. I've also read that you shouldn't allow the fan to spin when you are hitting it with air.

I hope your fan isn't out. If it is, maybe you replace it. Swagger may be right, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to inquire. Somebody on the board might be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:29 AM

19 posts, read 75,849 times
How do you know the fan is bad? Is there air coming out of the vents? All laptops have vents on the sides for hot air to come out. If there's no air blowing, then it may be a defective fan. If it's not the fan, it could be bad memory, cpu or bad drivers(if you installed something new).

Since you get 5 to 10 minutes on the system, try installing a utility that monitors your system. These utility can tell you the temperature, fan speed, memory usage and other usefull stuff.

Have you tried booting is safemode?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
If it is the fan you might try one of these:

BestBuy.com - Search Results (http://tinyurl.com/5ee8d8 - broken link)

http://tinyurl.com/6s362h (broken link)

Old 02-10-2009, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 7,881 times
Thats crazy because my gateway is a little over 2 years and lastnight it just completely froze! i restarted it and about 2 min later completely froze again. so i shut it off then when i restarted it the cd/dvd and harddrive indicator lights on the front were solid and that was it just a black screen. now it comes on but my wireless network isnt working and i get new hardware messages everytime i start up and my wireless isnt work (code10?) gateway sucks at customer support. this is my first gateway and will be my last! the cd/dvd just pops open randomly and my touchpad quit working only a year after buying it. its like they programed this one to just fall apart slowly but surely. any help?

Old 08-12-2009, 04:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I am looking at getting a new laptop for personal use but I can say that my work HP laptop - I bought a cooling pad after the paper label on the bottom charred from the heat. IT works a lot better now.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:33 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
It's been my experience that it is more likely that the CPU cooler fins are blocked with dust, it's pretty rare that the fans go bad (but they do), very common on 1+ yr old laptops that the heatsink gets clogged, I clean them all the time. It may be a simple task to clean yours or it may require a complete teardown of the laptop, a task I would recommend you leave to a reputable repair shop.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 7,296 times
Exclamation Fire hazard

First I Was Using My Computer And Skypeing With my friend then my computer started to overheat then i ran away and the computer caught on fire

Old 08-20-2009, 03:58 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reedask View Post
First I Was Using My Computer And Skypeing With my friend then my computer started to overheat then i ran away and the computer caught on fire
You didn't take your meds today did you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers