Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 12:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,489,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
This certainly points to the video. Even if the issue is RAM or the drive you should get a display of some kind. Even if it's just that white blinking bar.
Bad ram, and I mean REALLY bad, not just a couple of bad spots, can prevent the system from POSTing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 05:10 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,589,884 times
Check the capacitors on the motherboard for seepage/leakage/bulging - that'll make it act up too which happens A LOT with E Machine computers.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:46 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,773,254 times
Thanks everyone,Im using the computer right now.
Looks like it was bad memory.im only running off 512 now but everything seems fine!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Thanks everyone,Im using the computer right now.
Looks like it was bad memory.im only running off 512 now but everything seems fine!
You mean you couldn't respond a bit earlier to let me know before I responded?

Seriously - I'm glad it was just the memory.

But be careful with E Machines as their Power Supplies are known to go bad and many times can "fry" the motherboard with it.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: I don't know what you did to determine about your bad memory and may have taken one memory module out then it worked - I don't know.

I would check if there's any capacitors in that memory slot area that are bad which may make that one slot not work. If that's the case that memory module you thought was bad may be actually good but not work in that one slot.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
You mean you couldn't respond a bit earlier to let me know before I responded?

Seriously - I'm glad it was just the memory.

But be careful with E Machines as their Power Supplies are known to go bad and many times can "fry" the motherboard with it.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT: I don't know what you did to determine about your bad memory and may have taken one memory module out then it worked - I don't know.

I would check if there's any capacitors in that memory slot area that are bad which may make that one slot not work. If that's the case that memory module you thought was bad may be actually good but not work in that one slot.
I've seen a few of those.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,773,254 times
Actually i posted minutes after i got the computer running.
I pulled out the memory sticks and then put the 1 newer stick back in.
Computer started up and seems to be fine.
I have heard about Emachine power supplies going bad.
Hopefully this thing last's me 4-6 more months until i can buy a new one.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,489,862 times
Quote:
Download a copy of Memtest86 and give it a run on that DIMM in both sockets just to be sure the motherboard is ok.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Download a copy of Memtest86 and give it a run on that DIMM in both sockets just to be sure the motherboard is ok.
Good idea!

averagejoe76 - just make sure that the BIOS is set that your optical drive boots first.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:27 AM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
Told you it was the RAM.

Be aware that some computers require the RAM chips to be installed in pairs. They will seem to function fine until a program uses up the memory on the first chip and starts trying to use the memory on the second chip. I had one customer that had messed around with his computer this way, and it took me the better part of a day to figure out why there were seemingly random problems.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:21 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,586,102 times
Quote:
That is great that you got your CPU up and running,I would still be concerned about the 99% usage of your hard drive,it night be time to buy a bigger hard drive and more RAM or delete files AS THIS IS PROBABLY SLOWING YOUR MACHINE DOWN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers