Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 05:48 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,003,070 times

Advertisements

When I purchased my computer about one- year- ago, the salesperson recommended that I get Webroot Spyware, without the anti-virus part, and then get the anti-virus part from Trend Micro Anti-virus, separetedly. Webroot Spyware is offering me the whole two of them combined for an additional $10, as a promotion for a short-period of time, plus I am able to contact them directly. Trend Micro cannot be contacted directly, only by e-mail.

For some unknown reason, Trend Micro subscription expires two weeks' after Webroot, so I still have some time to make up my mind. If I make my decision now, and go with Webroot, I will duplicate the anti-virus for another two weeks. Can this damage the computer? Do you think the original recommendation of my salesperson was correct? Do you know anything about these two companies? Which company will you choose? So far, my computer has not problems. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:40 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,143,367 times
Well, I personally prefer the free software. I'm running Avast, which is both an AV and firewall. Ariva has a good reputation, but you'll have to find a firewall. Some like Zonealarm. I tried it once upon a time but didn't like it. AVG Free is a popular AV. I think it also needs a firewall.

Another reason I like Avast is because it updates automatically and because it has VRDB:
"VRDB stands for "Virus Recovery Database"; it was known as "Integrity Database" in previous avast! versions. The aim of VRDB is to help when, despite all the security measures, a virus gets inside the computer and the files are infected. With the help of VRDB, it is possible to repair many infected files (return them exactly to their original state)." There's more to it than that, but I didn't want to copy-paste it all in here.

Some people think of the old adage, "You get what you pay for." That doesn't apply to the above-mentioned programs, as well as others.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times
So far, my computer has not problems.

You answered your own question.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:25 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,031,234 times
Spysweeper has become a bloated resource hogging application similar to Norton and Mcafee, I used to highly recommend it but it went off my list a couple years ago. I would go with one of the free AV apps and a couple of the free manual malware scanners, with one of them being malwarebytes.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So far, my computer has not problems.

You answered your own question.
Would you kindly elaborate a little more about your reply? thanks,

Old 10-04-2008, 10:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,759,025 times
If your computer has not had any problems why are you wanting to change what you are using. Remember the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old 10-04-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If your computer has not had any problems why are you wanting to change what you are using. Remember the adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Because I have virus only with TREND, which will expire soon on 10/13, and now they are only offering me a combination of the two: being spyware and virus. They no longer offer anti-virus alone, which is what I have with them. I already have a subscription with WEBROOT, for spyware ONLY for the next three years, BUT now they are offering me the two combined. So, I need to make up my mind because after 10/13, I will not have anti-virus on this computer. Do I need to uninstall TREND? Or can I go with Webroot without uninstalling Trend, since it will run out 10/13? Will it break my computer, If I do not uninstall it? Thank you,

Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,031,234 times
ALL expired AV/ anti-malware apps should be uninstalled before installing their replacements, only 1 active AV/ anti-malware app should be in use at a given time, never have 2 of either monitoring your system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers