Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 09:22 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,449,553 times

Advertisements

The audio on my older laptop has given up. I don't have any sound from the speakers or head phone jack. Windows XP with a celeron processor and 1 gig memory. I have gone so far as dissasemble it to check the jack for a faulty connection. The various test I have tried all imply the software is working but no audio. So does anyone have a method to test without using windows or the drivers? I tried Safe mode but the drivers were not loaded.
Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Arcticthaw

P.S. I forgot to mention I tried to restore back to a point I new the audio worked. still no sound.

Last edited by Arcticthaw; 11-05-2008 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 10:14 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,144,976 times
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, then noticed the little volume icon was missing. I have no idea what happened to it, but it wasn't hard to fix. Could that be the case?

Have you gone to Device Manager, right-clicked each item to see if it it is "working properly?" You might have to reload a driver, anyway.

Have you gone to System Information>Components>Problem Devices? Sometimes you get a hint, there.

I'm not one of the real geeks, here, but maybe I said something that might help.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, then noticed the little volume icon was missing. I have no idea what happened to it, but it wasn't hard to fix. Could that be the case?

Have you gone to Device Manager, right-clicked each item to see if it it is "working properly?" You might have to reload a driver, anyway.

Have you gone to System Information>Components>Problem Devices? Sometimes you get a hint, there.

I'm not one of the real geeks, here, but maybe I said something that might help.
Thanks Brian for the input. I do have the speaker icon and checked all the advanced tabs to make sure all the volumes were set properly and nothing muted, I checked the Funtion key sequence as I tend to use it to control volume. Those seemed to be working too. Did Device manager and System info also. Nothing seemed wrong, all said OK and just don't see anything obvious. Last time I was using it I was in an internet conversation and we had some strange popping and static at times on MSN so I am wondering if the spikes may of killed off the audio amp. The fan used to run lots too, especially after I added more ram. From 256 to 1 gig last spring. Been using a web cam occasionally and that taxes the processor so when I pulled it all apart reapplied the dialectric compund between the cpu and heatsink. Seems to run a bit cooler now.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:53 AM

Sounds like a dead soundboard. I guess you could try a different sound board. Some people have lots of stuff like that laying around, that you might get really cheap at a fixit shop. Laptops are kind of a pain in the neck to take apart unless you do it all the time...and I don't. Since it's an older laptop you probably don't have to worry about losing your warrantee. If I'm poking around the innards a computer, I usually wear cotton gloves to keep from imparting a little unwanted static.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:17 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,510,187 times
Brian, you can discharge static by merely constantly giving yourself contact with the frame. I do that rather than deal with the silly wristbands or gloves or mats.

Just don't wear fleece and try to not do it over shag carpet.

At any rate, Artic... are you getting sound from the PC speaker? Like error noises? If you're not, then its probably a hardware issue. If you do, its probably software related.

If its hardware, buy a cheapo USB sound card and use that. If its software, go back through delete all the sound card stuff from device manager and try reinstalling all the drivers.

You could also try downloading the ubuntu live cd, booting into that and see if sound works.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Brian, you can discharge static by merely constantly giving yourself contact with the frame. I do that rather than deal with the silly wristbands or gloves or mats.

I guess it's a personal choice issue for me. I like to have both hands free. I don't like mats or wristbands, either.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post

At any rate, Artic... are you getting sound from the PC speaker? Like error noises? If you're not, then its probably a hardware issue. If you do, its probably software related.

If its hardware, buy a cheapo USB sound card and use that. If its software, go back through delete all the sound card stuff from device manager and try reinstalling all the drivers.

You could also try downloading the ubuntu live cd, booting into that and see if sound works.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I don't get any noise out of anything on the laptop. Not even a pop or click when I plug or unplug the headphones, so will believe the sound card died. I picked up a usb sound card on the way home and will give that a try. Ubuntu sounds interesting if I get time I will take a peek at that just for winter fun.

Thanks guys for the help and ideas.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:33 AM

23,901 posts, read 33,669,409 times
Before doing the USB (if you haven't already) go to Joecartoon.com and click on the various icons. I've had sound go for no reason, go to Joecartoon, it then works. My guess is a file gop corrupt, going to Joecartoon put the file back in.

Sounds silly I know but I've suggested it to other people and they had it work as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers