Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 07:45 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The last program that I downloaded was malware.bytes. It did a real nice job of cleaning up the viruspro2008 problem that I had. It also cleaned up, and added some speed to the computer that it hasn't had in a while.

I have AVG, Spybot, AdAware, and Ccleaner. Have I been hijacked, or is it possibly just a corrupt file? Thanks for any input.
I've never heard of malware.bytes; and looked around to see if I could find reference to it at a few places I go to, I couldn't.

You're running a lot of programs, do you really need them all?

You also have to be careful, sometimes running too many isn't good either.
When you use something that plays with the registry, you could corrupt it if you remove something you shouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:50 AM

16,706 posts, read 15,701,811 times
Malwarebytes is the name of the publisher of Anti-Malware.

Malwarebytes.org

Old 11-24-2008, 09:28 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,015,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I've never heard of malware.bytes; and looked around to see if I could find reference to it at a few places I go to, I couldn't.

You're running a lot of programs, do you really need them all?

You also have to be careful, sometimes running too many isn't good either.
When you use something that plays with the registry, you could corrupt it if you remove something you shouldn't.
The free versions of Malwarebytes, spybot, Adaware, and ccleaner are on demand applications, they don't run in the back ground.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:24 AM

712 posts, read 2,147,031 times
The better way to move your Outlook Express email is to use the import wizard select Outlook Express and then point it to the directory bare in mind you may have to go in to Control Panel, Folder Options, View and uncheck/undot anything that says hide to find hidden directory's like Application Data/Local Settings

Bare in mind as well if your using your address book you'll need to grab that .wab file as well it's usually in Microsoft/Address Book (that can be imported as well through Address Book program)

Old 11-25-2008, 05:24 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,692,805 times
Just an update........ I bought a 4 gig flash drive yesterday. I haven't had time to transfer any files yet. I'm still using the profile that created itself. I'm just not putting anything important into it.

Thanks to everybody for the ideas.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:01 AM

3,976 posts, read 5,174,052 times
I just had this happen to my sons account. Here's what you need to do to correct it.

MAKE SURE YOUR OLD PROFILE IS STILL THERE BEFORE DOING THESE STEPS!

Next, open regedit (Start->Run->regedit)

Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> ProfileList by clicking the + next to each folder.

There will be a bunch of folders with long number strings. These are the unique identifiers for each profile.

Click on each of those folders and in the window the right find the value ProfileImagePath. Look over the the far side of the window, you may have to scroll, and find the name of the corrupt folder.
(ex %systemtroot%\Documents and settings\South Range.00000)

Once you find that folder, right click on ProfileImagePath and select Modify.

Change the name to your original profile folder. (ex %systemtroot%\Documents and settings\South Range)

Click OK

Close regedit, reboot and log in.

Everything should be back to normal.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,692,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
I just had this happen to my sons account. Here's what you need to do to correct it.

MAKE SURE YOUR OLD PROFILE IS STILL THERE BEFORE DOING THESE STEPS!

Next, open regedit (Start->Run->regedit)

Drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> ProfileList by clicking the + next to each folder.

There will be a bunch of folders with long number strings. These are the unique identifiers for each profile.

Click on each of those folders and in the window the right find the value ProfileImagePath. Look over the the far side of the window, you may have to scroll, and find the name of the corrupt folder.
(ex %systemtroot%\Documents and settings\South Range.00000)

Once you find that folder, right click on ProfileImagePath and select Modify.

Change the name to your original profile folder. (ex %systemtroot%\Documents and settings\South Range)

Click OK

Close regedit, reboot and log in.

Everything should be back to normal.

Thank You. That was fantastic.

Those were perfect instructions that did exactly what I needed. All of my bookmarks, and E-mail addresses are back. Just in time too. I need to send an important Thanksgiving E-mail. I was scrambling for the address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers