Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:38 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times

Advertisements

laptop? Our 18 y/o DS wants a laptop for Christmas and we are trying to stay on a budget as much as possible (we have two other kids, each other, my mom, siblings, etc.). I have checked the Black Friday ads and have only seen a Dell Vostro at Wal-Mart for $349. I have no idea if this computer is even any good or would serve his purpose (Word, internet access, a few games, etc.). What other ways can I get good deals if nothing great comes up in the next couple of days for BF? Internet sites? Craigslist? I have never done this before so I have no idea. Please help!

Thanks!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 09:41 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioAdoptMom3 View Post
laptop? Our 18 y/o DS wants a laptop for Christmas and we are trying to stay on a budget as much as possible (we have two other kids, each other, my mom, siblings, etc.). I have checked the Black Friday ads and have only seen a Dell Vostro at Wal-Mart for $349. I have no idea if this computer is even any good or would serve his purpose (Word, internet access, a few games, etc.). What other ways can I get good deals if nothing great comes up in the next couple of days for BF? Internet sites? Craigslist? I have never done this before so I have no idea. Please help!

Thanks!
Nancy
Unless he really needs a laptop for portability a mini tower is way more bang for the buck and much faster. As far as that model I can't help you. I don't use one anymore.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:01 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
(Word, internet access, a few games, etc.)

With this as a criteria pretty much any laptop on the market is powerful enough.

Keep your eyes open as it gets closer to Xmas. I've heard the warehouses are full of unsold electronics and if the season sales are as flat as I expect there will be some good deals coming up. If you can return the Dell you might consider buying it (or a different one) keep it in the packing and return it if a better deal shows up later. Just be sure of the return policy....

Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
I just looked at the online ad for my zip, I am not seeing that laptop available here.

FWIW, I did notice that the cheaper laptops/desktops did not have windows installed, they are running linux, which is easily fixed for under $100 with an OEM XP or Vista CD.

I agree with who said that if they do not need the laptop for portability, buy a desktop.

All kids want a laptop, no clue why. Eventually they get slow, you can't upgrade them. If a part goes bad it's expensive to replace where with a desktop you can buy say a motherboard cheap then try to reuse parts.

It's a good price for a laptop but without seeing specs it could be running old parts...

Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Some news reports suggest waiting until the Thanksgiving weekend is past to see how sales have been, which will determine how aggressive the sales get as Christmas gets closer.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Some news reports suggest waiting until the Thanksgiving weekend is past to see how sales have been, which will determine how aggressive the sales get as Christmas gets closer.
This could very well be true....in the past some companies have threatened lawsuits for posting BF sales early....this year "They" are sending out flyer's already.....

Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM

574 posts, read 2,045,571 times
Thanks for your help everyone! I love to shop on Black Friday, but will hold off on the laptop, or try to talk him into a desk top. Our 21 y/o DS got the DT for the same reason you all mentioned.

Nancy

Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
FWIW, I did notice that the cheaper laptops/desktops did not have windows installed, they are running linux, which is easily fixed for under $100 with an OEM XP or Vista CD.
You are talking about the netbooks. Commercially available operating systems (read: Windows, OSX) are very large, require at least 4 gigs of disk space, and are power hungry for RAM. This is because they are loaded with tidbits that can bog a machine down. OSX, for example, has thousands of little features that the typical Mac user will never use, nor even notice that they are there. Linux, in general, is just a bare bones OS, giving the user the opportunity to add the apps and features that they want. Because of this Linux generally requires less RAM and takes up considerably less disk space. Some Linux distros are as small as 8MB. That's a spec of dust, but still fully functional. So, netbooks, because of their limitations with tasks, disk space and RAM benefit from using Linux as the OS.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:45 PM

389 posts, read 1,986,746 times
netbooks for the win!!!! i am obssessed with it!!! first with asus eeepc which started it all!! then, acer aspire one $348 at walmart, but msi wind wins!!! coz i can convert it to hackintosh!!! look ma, i have a mac notebook under $400!! woot!

Old 11-28-2008, 05:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
If he is going to go to college next year you might want to hold off on the laptop now. Some colleges have very strict requirements for what they want students to have. They also generally have very good deals on those laptops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers