Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM

438 posts, read 832,490 times

Advertisements

Also look into Komodo, a free firewall. I also use Spybot, AVG rootkit detector, and SuperAntiSpyWare. Overkill?.....maybe? But it never hurts to have these to keep your computer safe as long as you do not run them simultaneously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:41 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
We can help with uninstall/reinstall and cleaning off bloatware. You'll need some patience, and if you are somewhat computer illiterate prepare to learn some new things.

I am sick as a dog and not stopping by very often, but there are plenty of other very knowledgeable people here that can get you through this. With the money you don't spend on a tech you can take someone out to dinner!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,136,920 times
Default Flu?

I had some stuff I inhaled (Relenza) that helped to kill the virus, thereby shortening sicktime -- only good for influenza A & B.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,216,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We can help with uninstall/reinstall and cleaning off bloatware. You'll need some patience, and if you are somewhat computer illiterate prepare to learn some new things.

I am sick as a dog and not stopping by very often, but there are plenty of other very knowledgeable people here that can get you through this. With the money you don't spend on a tech you can take someone out to dinner!
I hope you're feeling better soon.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:01 PM

905 posts, read 2,402,236 times
It's mostly on the user though to whether or not you get viruses. Something like AVG with a spyware remover should be fine IMO. Just run Firefox with Noscript and Adblock Plus and you will be fine. I have no anti virus and 1 spyware remover I never use.

Also if you just got it...PLEASE do a reformat of your comp. The amount of adware and other crap those companies install on the PC can slow it down by up to 25% before it was ever connected to the net.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:21 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,010,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Also if you just got it...PLEASE do a reformat of your comp. The amount of adware and other crap those companies install on the PC can slow it down by up to 25% before it was ever connected to the net.
The only option the OP has is using the HP recovery, which will reinstall all the bloatware, so there's really no point in a reinstallation.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Default Norton Beat McAfee Handa Down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Agree!Norton was somehow blocking my MSN messenger and Skype.
It would also pop up every 10 mins and kick me off a online game to ask..
If it was ok to run a program(always legit programs,files).
--------
I have used McAfee and Norton and there is really no comparison ... I first had McAfee and it was doing a job to my email - Didn't like it much ... Switched to Norton years ago until it became too expensive [I thought] ... Used 'free' AVG for about a year and was scared of its free status and overall reliability... Oh, yes, I could have bought AVG Plus ... Been using Norton ever since and we love it on all of our Laptops and PCs ... Norton is easy to use, have no issues with it, completely reliable ... Yes, it does take up space on the HD, but isn't internet security worth it? ... 'FREE' is 'free' but does it really do the complete job? ... No program is completely secure I realize, but isn't a BMG better than a Volkswagon ... I think so!@@! I know so@!! ... I bought a Norton bundle for all my computers and WILL renew it for many years ... People have preferences I know, BUT get rid of some of your toys around the house and buy Norton!!! ... You have to!@!
rroidsgj

Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 AM

16,690 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rroidsgj View Post
--------
I have used McAfee and Norton and there is really no comparison ... I first had McAfee and it was doing a job to my email - Didn't like it much ... Switched to Norton years ago until it became too expensive [I thought] ... Used 'free' AVG for about a year and was scared of its free status and overall reliability... Oh, yes, I could have bought AVG Plus ... Been using Norton ever since and we love it on all of our Laptops and PCs ... Norton is easy to use, have no issues with it, completely reliable ... Yes, it does take up space on the HD, but isn't internet security worth it? ... 'FREE' is 'free' but does it really do the complete job? ... No program is completely secure I realize, but isn't a BMG better than a Volkswagon ... I think so!@@! I know so@!! ... I bought a Norton bundle for all my computers and WILL renew it for many years ... People have preferences I know, BUT get rid of some of your toys around the house and buy Norton!!! ... You have to!@!
rroidsgj
That's ridiculous! You come in here and make your first post an assertion that AVG Free is no good because it is free and suggesting that everyone buy Norton because you like it. Totally unfounded.

A check at the AVG web site will show the differences between their free product and their expensive product. There are several free virus protection solutions. If you look around this forum, you can find the recommendations. Just a few posts above, there was a description of the type of issue some people have had with Norton.

(I think the car is a BMW. )

Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,685,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Thank you all for the replies. Should I take it to a tech guy for all that's needed?
No. Takes 20 minutes to install everything you need.

Download AVG free or Microsofts free ant virus. Download malwareybytes
Download zone alarm for a firewall or use miscrosofts built in firewall. Set your browser to block 3rd party applications/cookies. You are basically done.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
Sure, I'll reply to a one year old thread. Talk about dredging up the dead...

I'm still using Norton 2010 Internet Security and still having no problems (except for Dentrix software) and it doesn't pop-up unless it is letting you know of potential problems (you do want to know, right?). It's not usiing much in the way of resources. It's now on 5 of my computers and probably 15 clients. I still recommend it. I am always amazed when I read posts about how terrible this software is. What is it that users do to make it run so poorly?

I have removed AVG free from all client computers. I don't know why, but the number of pop ups and nags were becoming obnoxious and clients were complaining about it. The program was still doing a great job, but harassing people is no way to keep them using your program. I replaced it with NIS and the phone has stopped ringing.

I have tried Avast and it does an excellent job.

Trend Micro is banned from any and all computers I maintain. I don't know what they did to that product last year, but it was a bad decision.

ZoneAlarm Internet Security (purchased, not free) no longer resides on any of my computers. It did a good job, but consistently forced me to renew one to three months ahead of the expiration date. Their customer service department was not very user friendly so it went away, never to return.

I am still a fan of free software. If it's free and does a good job there is no reason not to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers