Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 04:23 AM

2 posts, read 5,874 times

Advertisements

please HELP I cannot get updates ,cant download any antivirus , cant get into my settings, can not down load anything!!!!!!,also tried to down load google earth and comes back you are not the administrator,I have a DELL INSPIRON 1501 lap top. I have been the only owner.allthough I just went threw a divorce last month..and he was a computer hacker !!!! Could he have messed up my computer ??? He has a brand new apple laptop and and many many other wireless devices that he uses to hack with,I dont know much about computers as he would not teach me anything for fear of me finding out about his hacking .I wanted to turn him in but i was told because i was on the same router that i would be blamed too. Is that true??? Please could some one help me fix this mess or just point me in the right direction..thank you soooooo much, judy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 04:46 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
Some of your post is confusing but from the sound of it you do not have admin permissions. It also sounds like you have other problems if you can't download anything. My first guess would be a virus or malware did this to you but it could be a malicious user changing your permissions and limiting (via policies) what you can do on the computer.

From the sound of it you don't have very much experience either. I would suggest taking the computer to a local shop and asking them how much it would cost for a basic scan and OS clean up. If needed they can reset your permissions too. It shouldn't be that much and you remove the risk of you making things worse by accidentally deleting or changing something you shouldn't.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I agree with the poster above.

Turn him in. After the authorities talk to you and figure out how much you don't know about computers they'll know your not a hacker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers