Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:46 PM

175 posts, read 1,487,392 times

Advertisements

Is there a program or something I can download, that would notify me when a recipient has opened or read an e-mail I sent to them? Maybe with the day they read it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 06:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,165,004 times
If your mail client is capable of adding the "Disposition-Notification-To" header, then you might get a read receipt. That's dependent on the header remaining intact (mail filtering tools are capable of stripping it before final delivery), and the client the recipient is using honoring it, AND them allowing it (usually the client pops up a "do you want to allow this" type of message).

There's a more insidious way, though, but it's still not guaranteed - nothing is, actually.

If you compose an HTML e-mail and include in the message an image that's loaded from a remote server, AND you have access to the server logs (or use some sort of tracking script to generate the image - they're out there too), then when the image loads, you'll have proof of it. This method, while actually pretty commonly used by e-mail marketers, isn't foolproof either, as more and more e-mail clients are blocking remote images by default.

So in a nutshell, no, there's no way to know for sure, unless you use one of the mechanisms above and you get a positive result (image loads or read receipt gets sent). Without the positive result, you'll never know for sure.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 PM

712 posts, read 2,148,543 times
I would simply suggest putting your email in the to box as well.. if you were thinking the server wasn't doing the bounce..

There is a neat way to send email on the command line too, which would allow you in some cases to login to the remote email server etc.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,511,014 times
You can request a read receipt as swagger said, but you're not guaranteed to get it.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 AM

6,596 posts, read 11,325,612 times
guessing you want to do this without the recipient knowing about it? Otherwise you can just call them up and ask - right? If so, it takes read receipts out of the picture as it requires participation from the recipient. So unless you can script something to do that (i.e. a Trojan) .. you're pretty much out of luck.

Off topic - why are read-receipts necessary? They annoy me so much that I make it a point to not send them back. Fockers, if its that important, call me up. Sorry - ranting here.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM

175 posts, read 1,487,392 times
I actually wasn't wanting to do anything insidious , just get curious sometimes when my mom or a friend says "what do you mean? I never got an e-mail from you!" ....and yet nothing was 'bounced back' to me as undeliverable. Do they just go into "inner space"? like when you do the laundry and only one sock comes back he-he-he

Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,998,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty3 View Post
I actually wasn't wanting to do anything insidious , just get curious sometimes when my mom or a friend says "what do you mean? I never got an e-mail from you!" ....and yet nothing was 'bounced back' to me as undeliverable. Do they just go into "inner space"? like when you do the laundry and only one sock comes back he-he-he
On the Interbutts we call that the bit bucket or /dev/null

Old 10-28-2008, 05:26 PM

712 posts, read 2,148,543 times
Yah.. that's a good way to know if you sent a HTML email.. you could see if the image/whatever was accessed..

I too hate read receipts.. I never ever send them..

Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,165,004 times
Quote:
...a friend says "what do you mean? I never got an e-mail from you!" ....and yet nothing was 'bounced back' to me as undeliverable. Do they just go into "inner space"?
If every link in the chain is behaving properly, this should never happen. The SMTP protocol was designed so that every message should be delivered or bounced - there's no other option.

That's assuming that every server is following the spec, though. It's possible that a message could disappear into the ether if there's an overly aggressive mail server admin or a mis-configured mail server out there. Also responsible for messages going unread is anti-spam technology that's either configured to discard messages it thinks are spam (a BAD thing) or misclassifies a message as spam, which could cause it to end up in a spam "folder" that people rarely look at.

If it's just friends and family you're talking about, it's probably just a case of your message ending up in the spam trap. Have them add you to their "white list" or "safe list" or whatever their mail provider calls it.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:39 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,147,107 times
Quote:
Is there a program or something I can download, that would notify me when a recipient has opened or read an e-mail I sent to them? Maybe with the day they read it?
I hardly ever type in an email address. I either copy paste from a website, or have it in my address book, where I can just click the box beside it and click "compose," and so forth. I was hinting that if you DO type it in, then mistakes are going to happen sometimes, even if you know the address backwards and forwards. And I'm talking from experience.

Woops. The machine was asking me if I wanted to quote anything so I thought the first one didn't send. Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers