Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:49 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,462,541 times

Advertisements

My HP Compaq laptop is 3.5 years old. The battery won't charge nor will the pc come on at all. Could there be something wrong with the charger or is it more likely I need to replace the battery.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:57 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,118,192 times
Will it start with the battery removed and the charger plugged in? Do any lights come on when it is plugged in and the battery is in? Most laptops have a charging or power light that lights when they are plugged into the wall.

A battery that old though could very well be dead depending on how well it was treated over its lifetime and what type of battery it is.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

I didn't know I could plug the laptop in without the battery in place.

I'll try that now.

(I'm using my hubby's pc right now).

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,543,062 times
Is there a power indicator on the power brick, a.k.a. the charger? I've had several of these fail over the years, seem to be the weak link with many laptops, just good enough to work, but if having to run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time they can get surprisingly warm.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Will it start with the battery removed and the charger plugged in? Do any lights come on when it is plugged in and the battery is in?
Just tried it. Nope. Nothing,. Nada.

No lights coming on, either.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Is there a power indicator on the power brick, a.k.a. the charger? I've had several of these fail over the years, seem to be the weak link with many laptops, just good enough to work, but if having to run the laptop and charge the battery at the same time they can get surprisingly warm.
My battery (I have the kind that charges the battery and runs the laptop at the same time) always got pretty warm, especially if I was using the pc for any length of time...i.e. over an hour.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,118,192 times
Sounds like a bigger problem. If there are any computer shops in your area that specialize in laptops/portables (not Geek Squad or othe big box store) take it there for a diagnostic. Most places will do a general cleaning and diagnostic for pretty cheap then can tell you what the problem is.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Sounds like a bigger problem. If there are any computer shops in your area that specialize in laptops/portables (not Geek Squad or othe big box store) take it there for a diagnostic. Most places will do a general cleaning and diagnostic for pretty cheap then can tell you what the problem is.
So, do you think I would be better off taking my laptop to a small, locally owned shop or to the Geeks at Best Buy?

Also, if I could take the pc to someone who could take the information I have on my harddrive and transfer it to a new, smaller laptop (that's what I really want to do), could that be done?

In case you haven't already noticed, I'm not computer saavy at all.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:33 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,008,266 times
It sounds like either your AC adapter went bad or the connection where it plugs into the laptop is bad. AC adapters are cheap, getting the broken jack replaced isn't. Many shops can only replace the logic board, the better ones can replace the DC jack with a new one if that's the problem. Any competant shop can transfer your data to a new laptop.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
It sounds like either your AC adapter went bad or the connection where it plugs into the laptop is bad. AC adapters are cheap, getting the broken jack replaced isn't. Many shops can only replace the logic board, the better ones can replace the DC jack with a new one if that's the problem. Any competant shop can transfer your data to a new laptop.
An update: I have the original charger and DC jack. Last year this time, I somehow bent the end where the jack plugs into the back of the laptop and bent it to hell and back so, hubby being the electronic wiz that he is, repaired the wiring and used a jack off of one of his electronic music things he has to save me some money and not have to buy a new charger/jack. That has been working really well until now. Last week, when I noticed the battery wasn't charging, he did a repair job on the jack but, this time, the battery/laptop isn't getting any juice.(I hope this isn't too convoluted for anyone to understand...lol) So, we were thinking that maybe the battery just died. Maybe all I need to do is get a new charger/jack and see what happens. I'll go to Best Buy tomorrow and get a new charger/jack. I hope that will fix the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers