Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 PM

125 posts, read 761,262 times

Advertisements

I would like to set up a 1 page website that has a link to a pdf portfolio. I've already made a custom graphic for the page. I'm looking for a reputable host with good secuirty. I'd also like to be able to have a password prompt come up when someone accesses the website.

What is the best way to go for someone who has never set one of these up? And what should I expect to pay?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 01:41 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,723,232 times
If you just need a web address, you can use Google Sites for a simple site that will do that for free, although I'd need to check if you can password the page. Normally, you have a page that is designed, a web url you rent, and a host you pay for service - all combined around $20/yr for maint.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If you just need a web address, you can use Google Sites for a simple site that will do that for free, although I'd need to check if you can password the page. Normally, you have a page that is designed, a web url you rent, and a host you pay for service - all combined around $20/yr for maint.
Do you know who the best hosts are to use? (and I assume I rent the url from them?)

Old 07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,155,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBower View Post
Do you know who the best hosts are to use? (and I assume I rent the url from them?)
You rent (actually, register) the domain at a registrar. GoDaddy is the most popular registrar in the US and there are others. At GoDaddy, you'd pay less than $10/year for a .com, .net or .org domain. I just checked at GoDaddy and jbower.com is taken, but you could have jbower.info for 89 cents!

At whichever registrar you use, you'll set the domain's DNS record to point to a host.

Google Sites is a free hosting solution that Sayantsi recommended above. It'll be a perfectly adequate host for a 1-page site and probably much simpler for you to set up than a traditional host. There will be step-by-step instructions in your Google Sites account for how to set your DNS record at GoDaddy.

You could have a site online in less than an hour for less than $1 with those two solutions.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:10 PM

718 posts, read 1,151,652 times
Another way might be to set up your own free egroup with yahoo or google. It's not exactly "your" website, but it might meet your needs at this time. I set up a couple of egroups for my non-computer-geek friends. Took all of 10 minutes, tops.

Invite only those people you want to share files with. Approve only those you invite. You'll be the group moderator. You can assign other moderators, if the group gets too big. Everyone you invite has to login. The egroup can be the repository of files you want to store.

There's a ton of things you can do with an egroup. Depends on exactly what your needs are.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Your Internet Service Provider probably gives you space on their servers as part of your package. All you need is a domain name, or your ISP may have a set up where you use their system instead of a separate domain name. For instance, if your SP is yourisp.com then you may have available

yourisp.com/jbower/index.htm

free with your package. Of course the naming convention may not be to your liking.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone! that helps a lot.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:33 AM

652 posts, read 1,788,034 times
This is one of the most informative threads I've read so far!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:08 PM

Do you guys know if password protecting a website is actually safe? There are a lot of hacking tutorials on youtube. Is there anyway to ensure they are safe?

And how do you password protect? Do hosts like google sites, hostgator, bluehost, etc. guide you through the setup to password protect? Or do I have to know how write java script?

Old 08-01-2009, 03:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,139,380 times
If you get paid hosting (possibly on free hosting) within the control panel you should have an option to password protect folders. This is done through the server software. The user gets a pop up window to enter a username and password.

Beyond that it gets complicated. You could just upload the file as password protected zip file which is fairly safe but not fail proof.

Quote:
Is there anyway to ensure they are safe?
Nothing is 100% safe but the method above is about as safe as it gets. Having said that if you're giving the password out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers