Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 02:55 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,959,327 times

Advertisements

I just bought an ipod Nano that uses itunes. I also have an older Sandisk mp3 using Windows Media Player.

When I upload cd's into WMP, it's very user friendly, and the sandisk mp3 has folders similar to windows explorer, to store my music. So I decided to upgrade and go with Ipod, using itunes I'm a little disappointed. It seems my hands are tied as to how to set it up. One example, I uploaded a CD and all the songs came in as albums. I moved them in explorer but it threw my library off...lol. When I use the nano ipod I'm not sure where everything is. Is it to sophisticated? Also, my nano ipod does not show up on windows explorer when connected into the drive.

Itunes does not show the cd cover art, I guess you have to create an account for that. I don't plan on "buying" tunes from itunes store so I don't want to create an account with my credit card. WMP shows cd cover art free and I believe it's more user friendly. What are your thoughts/opinions. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,651,820 times
I prefer to use WinAmp to manage my iPod. Like you, I don't buy a lot of music from the store which is what iTunes is designed for. Just using it to manage my MP3s on my iPod was a nightmare.

I actually just bought a 16GB Walkman so I don't use my iPod too much any more.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:10 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,959,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I prefer to use WinAmp to manage my iPod. Like you, I don't buy a lot of music from the store which is what iTunes is designed for. Just using it to manage my MP3s on my iPod was a nightmare.

I actually just bought a 16GB Walkman so I don't use my iPod too much any more.
So you upload your cd's to winamp then sync to your mp3? I just downloaded winamp, trying to familiarize myself with it. I like how you play a cd, like "Patrizio", and it shows videos of concerts from utube and his bio.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:06 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,044,965 times
iPods have to be put into "disk" mode in order to browse it like a disk drive, while in this mode it won't work in iTunes.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:27 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,728,527 times
Actually, an iPod will work in disk mode just like a normal iPod. The only difference is you need to mount/unmount it like any other drive. You can browse an iPod no matter what state its in - normal or disk mode as well - you just need to know where to look.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,728,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
It seems my hands are tied as to how to set it up. One example, I uploaded a CD and all the songs came in as albums. I moved them in explorer but it threw my library off...lol. When I use the nano ipod I'm not sure where everything is. Is it to sophisticated? Also, my nano ipod does not show up on windows explorer when connected into the drive.

Itunes does not show the cd cover art, I guess you have to create an account for that. I don't plan on "buying" tunes from itunes store so I don't want to create an account with my credit card. WMP shows cd cover art free and I believe it's more user friendly. What are your thoughts/opinions. Thanks in advance!
If you select "let iTunes keep my library organized" in system preferences, iTunes will automatically organize your music files into artist/album/song. If you don't like that, go into system preferences and deselect that option.

If you want your music stored in a particular directory, you can also set that up in system preferences. Wherever you set iTunes to look for music is where it will look for songs or store songs if you let it organize the library. If you don't let iTunes keep the library organized, and just drag music into the iTunes window, iTunes will keep track of all the places you bring music in from.

I don't know about iTunes and cover art without an account, but typically you would right click on a song and select "get album art". If you can't do that without an account, you can create an account without a credit card:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers