Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 12:43 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,017,615 times

Advertisements

Same reason Sony, HP and other vendors load their computers up with bloatware, sure it makes a new PC run like a dog, but that's ok if they can make some more money off you.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
I can find much more trivial things to obcess about than these stickers, but I don't worry about those either.

I do dislike all the bloatware/trialware vendors install, and that is why the first thing I do when I get a preloaded PC is;
FORMAT C: /FS:NTSF /Q

Old 12-05-2009, 03:18 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,255,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
No one would see it on the bottom of the computer and the whole point is to promote the brand. Intel provides a lot of marketing support to OEMs who play ball.
Well, everybody and their grandmother has heard of Windows, and chances are they are going to assume that is the OS that is coming with the computer. I understand that MS has these stickers to help ensure costumers that they are receiving a genuine copy of Windows, but Windows does not need to advertise. MS has the OS market so completely saturated that any competitor (Mac, Linux) are seriously so far away from being a threat that it seems redundant.

As for Intel, let's be honest, the typical Joe (or Jane) more than likely has no idea what the difference is between processors, let alone brand, and those that do, do not need a sticker to advertise this. It is like having the name of the brand of spark plugs in your car on the side of your Toyota. Unless you are a race car driver, it is rather pointless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
The fact that you saw the stickers and read the name Intel or Microsoft, etc... is the purpose, you read their name and it's in your head now.
I am already well aware of Intel, AMD, MSI, MS, etc., etc. That fact that I see these stickers only means that I am going to remove them two seconds after I receive my new purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I can find much more trivial things to obcess about than these stickers, but I don't worry about those either.

I do dislike all the bloatware/trialware vendors install, and that is why the first thing I do when I get a preloaded PC is;
It was just something that I was curious about. It seems silly to me.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:42 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,017,615 times
Take it up with Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ATI, and Microsoft, we've given you the reason, there's nothing we can do about it.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:59 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,633,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

What sort of file system is NTSF? Is that something new? lulz

I hate how those stickers become faded and start peeling up after a while. I usually pull them up and clean the area with some Goo Gone on my company laptops.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,551,185 times
It is related to a tpyo

Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,586,542 times
apt-get remove case-stickers

See that was simple!

Old 12-05-2009, 10:33 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,374,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, everybody and their grandmother has heard of Windows, and chances are they are going to assume that is the OS that is coming with the computer.
If you go to the store you could probably find computers with Vista and some with Windows 7 and some might be 64 bit or 32 bit. They are not all the same.

Quote:
As for Intel, let's be honest, the typical Joe (or Jane) more than likely has no idea what the difference is between processors, let alone brand, and those that do, do not need a sticker to advertise this. It is like having the name of the brand of spark plugs in your car on the side of your Toyota. Unless you are a race car driver, it is rather pointless.
You do not have the thought process of someone in marketing/sales. For each new sale, a person who buys the product for the first time doesn't know much except the advertising they are presented with, so when a kid gets their first computer the labels let them know what is being bought. If they saw the Intel commercial then they may be looking only for the Intel branded products. Whether the computer is a Dell or HP, etc... is largely pointless, it's the CPU and graphics and OS that make the computer.

Actually, it does make it easier when buying products, as it's quick to tell what is inside. A computer processor isn't the same as spark plugs, and that's a reason why people can quickly look. If the computer has an Intel Quad core, then I know it's probably able to take future faster Intel Quad CPU's. If it has a Celeron or AMD Sempron, then I know it probably can't be upgraded similarly.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:43 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,758,981 times
Quote:
This is something that I have wondered about for a long time....

....why do PC's have those little stickers on them that tell you what processor and sometimes version of Windows that is installed? They are more prominent on laptops, but on many towers as well. I don't get it. What purpose do they serve. What I also don't understand is why people keep them on.

Is this some sort of status symbol? "Hey, look at me, I have AMD processors!" Big whoop-dee-do!

If I ever buy a PC laptop, the first thing that I am going to do is peel these damn things off.

Honestly though, what is with the stickers?

marketing and advertising.

if those stickers weren't there, many people wouldn't know firms like Intel or AMD even existed.

seriously though, what's the trade off? I see no downside to stickers.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:14 PM

16,706 posts, read 15,705,282 times
If you REALLY don't like those Intel Inside stickers, you can go here: Computer Case Badges Case PC Badge Sticker Label Badge Case Custom AMD Badge Case-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com and get any kind you like; Linux, favorite car, favorite college logo, animals, flags, or even design your own.

[I kind of liked the yin/yang myself.]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers