Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
apt-get remove case-stickers

See that was simple!

Wow, if that actually worked I think I'd be scared.

Waitaminute.

apt-get remove wife-blou

Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
If you go to the store you could probably find computers with Vista and some with Windows 7 and some might be 64 bit or 32 bit. They are not all the same.
No, they aren't and a consumer should know which OS they are getting, but that is not my point.

I can understand all of the stickers on the display model, I just do not understand why they feel the need to put them on individual machines as well. The product box, yes. Documentation, yes. On the computer chassis, no.

Quote:
You do not have the thought process of someone in marketing/sales. For each new sale, a person who buys the product for the first time doesn't know much except the advertising they are presented with, so when a kid gets their first computer the labels let them know what is being bought. If they saw the Intel commercial then they may be looking only for the Intel branded products. Whether the computer is a Dell or HP, etc... is largely pointless, it's the CPU and graphics and OS that make the computer.
Thankfully, I do not have that mentallity. However, I do know about advertising. Most advertisers preach to the choir, i.e., they are letting their customers know that they are still around. All of the Intel commercials that I have seen are rather dubious to what exactly they are or do. Yeah, their rock stars are not like our rock stars. Cool. But that has no meaning to someone who is not a geek.

Most people who use Intel chips will more than likely always use Intel. So yes, most people will pass up the AMD computers and stick to the ones with Intel, so once again, this would make sense to have the sticker on the display model, but not on the actual purchased computer.

Quote:
Actually, it does make it easier when buying products, as it's quick to tell what is inside. A computer processor isn't the same as spark plugs, and that's a reason why people can quickly look. If the computer has an Intel Quad core, then I know it's probably able to take future faster Intel Quad CPU's. If it has a Celeron or AMD Sempron, then I know it probably can't be upgraded similarly.
Once again, display model. Spark plugs and CPUs may not be the ideal analogy, but they are both critical components to their respective systems. Your car can run on cheap 50 cent spark plugs just like a computer can run on a cheap (less powerful) processor, but insert $10 spark plugs and you will notice a difference in your cars performance (albeit only marginally if you are only upgrading the spark plugs). In that respect, the analogy is correct. Besides, it is the same personality that would put expensive spark plugs in an automobile and one who would want a particular CPU.

Perhaps it is just me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
marketing and advertising.

if those stickers weren't there, many people wouldn't know firms like Intel or AMD even existed.

seriously though, what's the trade off? I see no downside to stickers.
From the average consumers perspective, AMD and Intel are moot. They just want a computer that can handle their basic daily needs.

Anyways, I have read up on this subject on other forums since I posted and the general consensus is that the more 'hardcore' computer user does not like these stickers as well and most claim to remove them right away.

So my question has been more than answered and City-Data users can continue on with being constantly reminded that that they have Windows XP and Intel Inside.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:22 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
k-luv - your interest in this topic is exceptional and amazing.

Whether you buy into it or not - the manufacturers (Intel, AMD, Microsoft, etc.) care a lot about brand awareness. So they insist on the stickers. As for display models - you don't think they want to bother with two different packages do you? Best Buy or Sams Club just opens a box and puts it on the shelf.

Hard-core PC users build their own computers.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Anyways, I have read up on this subject on other forums since I posted and the general consensus is that the more 'hardcore' computer user does not like these stickers as well and most claim to remove them right away.

that's the opposite of my experience.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
And a third option.... I'll put the sticker on if I like it and it fits nicely into the sticker niches on my case.

My latest case has no sticker niches, so no stickers.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,369,692 times
Quote:
No, they aren't and a consumer should know which OS they are getting, but that is not my point.
No, that's not true at all. Do you really think someone's elderly aunt or grandparent knows what they are buying? There is a larger number of people that get computers to communicate with everyone else (their kids or grandkids, etc...) that has computers, but they don't know anything about it. So it's easier if someone can tell them what labels to look for when they buy them. I used to work for someone who is a successful millionaire business owner, but he doesn't even know what those things are, he can read them but it's not worth his time to know what is in the computers he buys for the office workers. I just suggest to him what labels to look for.

Quote:
I can understand all of the stickers on the display model, I just do not understand why they feel the need to put them on individual machines as well. The product box, yes. Documentation, yes. On the computer chassis, no.
It's all part of branding. When someone comes over and see the computer they can be influenced by what they see. No different than when someone invites people to come over and check out their new car or TV, etc... People can clearly see the labels and if they feel that is "cool" they will look for the labels.

Quote:
Thankfully, I do not have that mentallity. However, I do know about advertising. Most advertisers preach to the choir, i.e., they are letting their customers know that they are still around. All of the Intel commercials that I have seen are rather dubious to what exactly they are or do. Yeah, their rock stars are not like our rock stars. Cool. But that has no meaning to someone who is not a geek.
That's not the total point of advertising (which I've done print ads, trade show booths, websites, competitive analysis, etc... though I don't work in advertising or marketing). You have to keep the name in people's minds otherwise they quickly forget, since most people don't spend that much time thinking about brands until they have to make a purchasing decision. For many people, whatever was recently in their mind is what they will think about and talk about with others. When someone sees McDonald's on TV and it's lunch time, it pops into their mind, whether or not they will go there, but at least it shows up in their head.

Quote:
Most people who use Intel chips will more than likely always use Intel. So yes, most people will pass up the AMD computers and stick to the ones with Intel, so once again, this would make sense to have the sticker on the display model, but not on the actual purchased computer.
Highly depends on the person and of the model of processor. Someone buying a top of the line may want to "brag" and have the Intel i7 label, etc... Why do cars have a "Turbo" label or "V8" label, because many of the buyers think it's cool to show off.

Quote:
Once again, display model. Spark plugs and CPUs may not be the ideal analogy, but they are both critical components to their respective systems. Your car can run on cheap 50 cent spark plugs just like a computer can run on a cheap (less powerful) processor, but insert $10 spark plugs and you will notice a difference in your cars performance (albeit only marginally if you are only upgrading the spark plugs). In that respect, the analogy is correct. Besides, it is the same personality that would put expensive spark plugs in an automobile and one who would want a particular CPU.
The CPU is more like the engine, and the graphics card is more like the tranmission/drive/suspension system, while the OS is like the driver's controls and displays. These are very important differences for people who care about cars, and therefore people who care about computers. But again, it helps shoppers if they want to know what's inside, especially if someone else recommends what they should buy then they can read the labels.

Quote:
Perhaps it is just me?
Maybe, because you fail to understand that everyone is different and not everyone makes a big deal about it. I don't worry about the labels, even though I know their purpose, I just don't see why it's an issue, that's how companies brand themselves, by putting their name out their. So everytime someone sees it, whether it is in the store or in someone's home. What's the purpose of a T-shirt with a big Nike logo on it?

Quote:
From the average consumers perspective, AMD and Intel are moot. They just want a computer that can handle their basic daily needs.
Except the competition between these companies is not moot to them. Is it better to have your competition wave their name out in front of everyone and your company does not do this?

Quote:
They may not necessarily like the factory ones, but before the labels were really common, the modders would buy these labels to show off they have the really expensive hardware inside their box. If you spent $500+ on your graphics card, many also wanted the badge to show it off. Here's a few links where people are asking/selling badges to "show off"

Case Badges - Tech Support Forum

I bought 8800GTS and I need Nvidia badge! - NVIDIA Forums

Domestickers Case Badges - [OC]ModShop

Old 12-10-2009, 08:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Both Microsoft and Intel base their pricing to OEMs on the OEMs' compliance with certain requirements. It can be a bit convoluted, but in the case of MS, they have a "voluntary" (ahem) marketing program which, if 100% complied with, yields a discount off the price the OEM would otherwise receive. The program requirements change from time to time, but include things like (1) every PC sold must ship with an operating system, (2) every PC shipped must include a sticker on the keyboard bezel, (3) every advertisement must include a tagline such as "[Dell] recommends Windows 7." There are usually about 10 such requirements in the program for any given year. Intel has a similar program (which used to be called the "Intel Inside Program") which requires a sticker, the "boing" sound and Intel logo displayed in TV advertisements for a mandated period of time, etc.

So it's all about money. MS and Intel generally hold nearly all the profits in the PC industry. The OEMs are trying to break even, and stay competitive with one another. A few bucks per machine shipped adds up, and they can't afford to sacrifice that margin by not complying with these programs.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:32 AM

53 posts, read 57,192 times
OP -- remove them if you want, but if you take off the sticker that shows your operating system, you're also removing the 20-digit(?) activation code needed to reinstall your OS if that ever becomes necessary.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Candy View Post
OP -- remove them if you want, but if you take off the sticker that shows your operating system, you're also removing the 20-digit(?) activation code needed to reinstall your OS if that ever becomes necessary.
No, that's a different sticker. The Microsoft "COA" (Certificate of Authenticity) is on the bottom of the machine. I think the OP was complaining about the stickers on the keyboard bezel of most laptop PCs or on the front of the case of most desktop PCs.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:37 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I have the Core i7 and Vista(although I'm running W7) decals, and I don't see how they slow me down watching fail.org videos on youtube...
So, I'm OK with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers