Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 AM

10 posts, read 22,171 times

Advertisements

I am not too great with computers, but I am looking to get my boyfriend a Toshiba Mini NB205-N325BL Netbook for Christmas. I don't want to purchase a plan, as I want him to be able to do that once he starts working the Midnight shift. Is it possible to just purchase a Netbook without a plan?

Also, does anyone have one? How do you like it? And is it necessary to spend more on a higher end Netbook than less on a cheaper model?

I am considering this one: Toshiba Mini NB205-N325BL Netbook at CircuitCity.com

Thanks so much for any input. I am very appreciative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 AM

269 posts, read 911,720 times
What type of plan don't you want to purchase? I'll go with my instincts and guess it's probably a cellular internet plan?

There's no need to get an internet(data) plan with a cellular company to purchase a netbook. Some companies offer discounts on the netbooks if you do purchase a plan but it's optional. If you don't need it then don't get it.

If you are talking about an extended warranty plan, same deal it's optional just don't get it if you want it.

If you are thinking another plan let us know.

----------------

My brother in law has one. He got one for taking with him on business trips because his company is locking down their laptops. He didn't want to travel with 2 full sized laptops so he opted for a netbook, so far he likes it but he's gone through 3 of them and it hasn't been a year. The problem w/netbooks is the same reason he bought it, they are very small and can be missed when not looking for it and stepped on/thrown/etc. They never have problems w/laptops falling or breaking so I'm going to blame it's size. Buy one that fits your needs if the cheaper one seems like it will work then buy it. Otherwise go with the more expensive model.

What are you thinking about using it for?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLippi View Post
What type of plan don't you want to purchase? I'll go with my instincts and guess it's probably a cellular internet plan?

There's no need to get an internet(data) plan with a cellular company to purchase a netbook. Some companies offer discounts on the netbooks if you do purchase a plan but it's optional. If you don't need it then don't get it.

If you are talking about an extended warranty plan, same deal it's optional just don't get it if you want it.

If you are thinking another plan let us know.

----------------

My brother in law has one. He got one for taking with him on business trips because his company is locking down their laptops. He didn't want to travel with 2 full sized laptops so he opted for a netbook, so far he likes it but he's gone through 3 of them and it hasn't been a year. The problem w/netbooks is the same reason he bought it, they are very small and can be missed when not looking for it and stepped on/thrown/etc. They never have problems w/laptops falling or breaking so I'm going to blame it's size. Buy one that fits your needs if the cheaper one seems like it will work then buy it. Otherwise go with the more expensive model.

What are you thinking about using it for?
By plan I mean a wireless plan to surf the internet anywhere. I have not even looked at plans. I just want to buy the Netbook without one. This is possible, right? Before he goes on midnight shifts, he will probably use it at home. Can he hook it up to his wireless?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Sorry, you answered my question. Thanks a ton!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers