Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:21 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,733,812 times

Advertisements

I will never buy a computer again without a back-up disk from the factory. If the factory disk does delete everthing there is no problem because I don't have anything important to lose. I did burn a back-up disk of my files at one time and also burned a computer restored software disk which won't work for some reason.

Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 10:40 AM

26 posts, read 80,524 times
If the operating system will not come up, i would purchase a drive converter, and get the data off yourself. There is no guarantee that the repair with the cd will work. That's because the restore registry entry could be corrupted. And in that case, there is no hope but to use the drive converter to get the data off.

Again, get a disk, and perform a repair.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I will never buy a computer again without a back-up disk from the factory. If the factory disk does delete everthing there is no problem because I don't have anything important to lose. I did burn a back-up disk of my files at one time and also burned a computer restored software disk which won't work for some reason.

Thanks, John

order a new set.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:11 AM

1,095 posts, read 4,008,238 times
Before everyone flames me for going off-topic and/or trying to convert someone to linux, let me offer something that may be a way to save useable data from the hard drive before you restore. You can download a Ubuntu installation that will run from a CD, so that you can boot up your computer without having to use the hard drive at all. You can then try to access the hard drive to see if you can find and backup your data using a flash drive before you wipe the hard drive and restore the Windows OS.

Of course, if it's easier for you to remove the hard drive and install it into another computer, by all means do that. But if you don't know how to do this using a drive converter, and/or you're hesitant to spend the money on a drive converter, you might try the ubuntu option, since the download is free, and it will only require you to use a CD-R. And you run the whole thing from the CD - you don't have to have a working hard drive for this to work.

Never mind, I see that you're not worried about saving any data.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:39 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,168,911 times
Google this:

vista boot disk

or go to Microsoft.com and look for Vista Boot

OR, if the computer you are using to post here has Vista, create a back-up disk.

Start the computer from a boot disk. Obviously you are using someone else's computer or another household computer to post on here. Once you get the computer started with a boot disk, save all your files to disk, then worry about trying to fixing your computer.

What is a boot disk?
A boot disk will allow you to boot off of a diskette instead of your hard drive. This diskette can be used to fix issues that may arise during the lifetime of your computer and/or to help load older MS-DOS games. Keep in mind this diskette is completely different than a Restore CD or Disc that may have been included with your computer.
Tip: After you have created a boot diskette, it is highly recommended that you write-protect the diskette to prevent possible computer virus infection and to help the diskette from being erased.
(source: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm)

Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 AM

16,761 posts, read 15,809,871 times
John, you've gotten a lot of good advice here. If you use a Vista boot disk or a Ubunto bootable CD, you'll at least find out if your hard disk is readable without spending any money. Then you can decide the best way for you to get it running again.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM

Again....just do a erd. ERD Commander – Free Trial from Microsoft « Geeks to Go! – Tech experts answer your questions

Old 12-28-2009, 03:02 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,733,812 times
Thank you all for the information. I have a laptop and my problem computer is a desktop. Desktop is over three years old. I could buy another hard drive but I would have to buy another operating system. I only use my desktop for the internet and nothing else.

John

Old 12-28-2009, 04:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,844,983 times
This is useless as the software is no longer available. The link on the referenced page is dead.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:37 PM

I may be spoiled by the fact I have a copy of it. So forget the link. So yeah the live cd would be best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers