Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,393 times

Advertisements

I had Adaware on my computer and it did not function very well with my other anti virus. Yesterday I get a popup message from them saying that the "bad guys" were only a week away if I didn't resubscribe.

That isn't the way to keep customers in my opinion.

I don't like being threatened and that is what it felt like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 AM

16,708 posts, read 15,709,123 times
AdAware is not an anti virus program. Why did you subscribe to it? Most of us here recommend using other products, generally Malwarebytes.

Now, if it actually said AdWare, it is a bad program and you need Malwarebytes to get rid of it.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,689,678 times
I have used adware in the past. Never has it "threatened" me to buy the program or else. As mensaguy said its not an anti virus program though. Im not even sure if you are referring to adware the removal program or adware as in malware that you somehow got on your computer.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 AM

AdWare is a malware product. AdAware is a malware removal product. They look a lot alike. I don't think anybody has ever "used" adware for anything useful. You can look here Spyware Database, Removal Instructions for "adware" and find several entries.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,130,420 times
I use Spybot Search and Destroy. It seems pretty efficient and is easy to use. It has detected spyware and viruses that Norton Antivirus was unable to detect.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I use Spybot Search and Destroy. It seems pretty efficient and is easy to use. It has detected spyware and viruses that Norton Antivirus was unable to detect.
Of course it will. Norton Antivirus is not spyware protection.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:18 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,020,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Of course it will. Norton Antivirus is not spyware protection.
It's not really virus protection either, it just claims to be

Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,006,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
AdAware is not an anti virus program. Why did you subscribe to it? Most of us here recommend using other products, generally Malwarebytes.

Now, if it actually said AdWare, it is a bad program and you need Malwarebytes to get rid of it.

I subscribed to it because I thought it dealt with unwanted "ads". (I don't like a lot of advertising intruding)

One of the times I took my computer in to the shop they put it on my computer. I have now removed it from my computer because of that popup that told me the "bad guys" were going to be here in about week if I didn't subscribe. I'm paraphrasing but they did use the words "bad guys".

Why would I make something like this up?

It was AdAware.

Thank you for the information, it was helpful.

I will read up on malwarebytes.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:36 PM

3,277 posts, read 3,530,067 times
Speaking of a malware removal product, I'm positive my computer has been tainted and my McAfee Sonic Wall did not catch it. (Computer will automatically shut down, freeze up, sometimes I can't even open internet explorer, etc)

So I downloaded Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (latest version) in hopes it would find and delete this little issue. Ran a full scan and nothing. Anything else I can do?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Speaking of a malware removal product, I'm positive my computer has been tainted and my McAfee Sonic Wall did not catch it. (Computer will automatically shut down, freeze up, sometimes I can't even open internet explorer, etc)

So I downloaded Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool (latest version) in hopes it would find and delete this little issue. Ran a full scan and nothing. Anything else I can do?
See the above recommendation and use Malwarebytes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers