Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2010, 09:12 AM

715 posts, read 1,357,006 times

Advertisements

Mine recently went useless and not able to work so I'll be shopping for a new one this weekend. I want something that's not too expensive (under 500, maybe even 400?) but that's good and reliable. I've gotten mixed reviews on ACER's and other off brands and I'm just wanting you guys opinions. If anything, I'm sure I can find a good HP, Dell, or Gateway that's not too pricey. What would you recommend? My current laptop is an HP that's 4 years old and whatever issue it has deals with replacing the motherboard so I was told its best just to buy a brand new laptop in place of the repair cost that most likely would occur. Help please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davi78239 View Post
Mine recently went useless and not able to work so I'll be shopping for a new one this weekend. I want something that's not too expensive (under 500, maybe even 400?) but that's good and reliable. I've gotten mixed reviews on ACER's and other off brands and I'm just wanting you guys opinions. If anything, I'm sure I can find a good HP, Dell, or Gateway that's not too pricey. What would you recommend? My current laptop is an HP that's 4 years old and whatever issue it has deals with replacing the motherboard so I was told its best just to buy a brand new laptop in place of the repair cost that most likely would occur. Help please
I would get a second opinion on that motherboard issue if I were you.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-08-2010, 09:18 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,933,140 times
Define "good". You can probably get reliable for that price, but you may not get "fast" or "features".

Make two lists. One of what you *must* use it for. And one of what you *wish* to use it for. Then you can look for laptops that meed the musts, and work up within your budget to get some of your wishes.

A recent report shows that Asus laptops have the lowest failure rates over the last three years. Lenovos also have a good reputation.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:33 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,664,218 times
Lenovo outlet (IBM)
Lenovo Outlet - Laptops & netbooks (http://outlet.lenovo.com/laptops.html - broken link)
They've got some really nice refurbs and such for under $500. Nice specs.
And the Geeks have some nice refurbished Dells.
Acer Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Duo Notebooks, at Geeks.com

I'm a firm believer in buying refurbs, particularly when it's a brand like Lenovo where you buy it from the manufacturer.
I'd trust the Geeks. They've been around a very long time. My experience buying refurbs from them is perfect and I've bought quite a few.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,711,118 times
While I agree with knoxgarden that looking for refurbs is a good idea I will caution you to be careful. As an example this HP PC from geeks is priced at $580. It's a nice laptop and has great features, but:

It comes with Vista. An upgrade to Win7 Home Premium will add $110
It costs $80 to get a one year warranty (standard on new HP laptops)

You are now paying $770 for a refurbished laptop that is equivalent to what you would get new elsewhere.

Newegg.com - HP G71-340US NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 17.3" 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi Intel GMA 4500MHD - Laptops / Notebooks

So you want to carefully compare before you buy. By doing so I believe you can get an excellent deal on a good laptop. Just be certain it is an excellent deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers