Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:50 PM

84 posts, read 196,481 times

Advertisements

Will get a laptop in a few weeks but which brand is better, HP or Toshiba and Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,517,393 times
Laptop reliability survey: ASUS and Toshiba win, HP fails -- Engadget

Toshiba appears to be more reliable than HP but both of them pre-install way too much crap.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,910,935 times
Interesting, I've had far fewer problems with my HPs. Then again, I clean all the bloatware off before I do anything else.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:25 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,883,096 times
First thing you need to understand is that neither of those companies makes laptops.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,812,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
First thing you need to understand is that neither of those companies makes laptops.
Agreed, they resell something made elsewhere. Most likely Taiwan, China, Tibet, India, some Taliban encampment in Pakistan, could be anywhere.

I've worked on both for clients over the years. I own an HP laptop, which is a replacement for an ancient HP laptop. I bought a Compaq (HP) for my wife. I just placed an HP laptop with a client.

Tell you anything?

Honestly you're better off looking for the best bang for the buck rather than trying to figure out which one is the "best" laptop. This is what I do, and HP comes out on top every time. HP is pushing real hard to be the laptop top seller and part of their push is to beat everyone's pricing. I like to take advantage of that.

Call each one's tech support and see what/who you get...

Check the warranty length. Does one have a better/cheaper extended warranty if that's something you buy?

Go to a big box store and type on the keyboard of each. Do you like the feel of one over the other? Is one too shiny?

Check the location of where everything plugs in. Some users hate the location of power plugs on laptops because it interferes with things where they work.

Number of USB ports.

Does it have HDMI - do you need it?

Gigabyte LAN - would you use it?

Wireless N?

Front side bus speed - the higher the better.

Amount of RAM and the max amount it will take.

Does the CPU support virtualization?

Intel - Which Intel CPUs Support XP Mode Virtualization? - Tom's Hardware

AMD - Which AMD CPUs Support XP Mode Virtualization? - Tom's Hardware

This may be more than you need to know, but education is a good thing...

Old 02-06-2010, 02:31 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,883,096 times
A handful of big Taiwanese companies that you've probably never heard of make most laptops: Compal, Quanta, Wistron, a few others. Just Google for "laptop ODMs" and you'll find a bunch of articles.

The point I was trying to make is that because HP and Toshiba are currently selling laptops made by three or four different ODMs, you really can't generalize by brand. You have to look at individual lines within each brand, because they may be made by different ODMs.

OP should define "better". Better value? Better support? Better reliability? Better performance?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Laptop reliability survey: ASUS and Toshiba win, HP fails -- Engadget

Toshiba appears to be more reliable than HP but both of them pre-install way too much crap.
I am always suspect when I see a chart slapped up on a page without corroborating evidence. I could make a pretty one just like it, claim it represents a huge number of tests made by anyone I care to name and post it here.

I'd give my own chart about as much credibility as I give this one.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,965,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I am always suspect when I see a chart slapped up on a page without corroborating evidence. I could make a pretty one just like it, claim it represents a huge number of tests made by anyone I care to name and post it here.

I'd give my own chart about as much credibility as I give this one.
To quote directly from you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Try being more productive and less complaining.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:33 PM

Nice try, but apples and oranges. No bold text, no multiple whines about the same subject, not giving the OP a rough time of it, no multiple links to CD threads to prove a ridiculous and unnecessary point.

Etc, etc, etc.

Oh, and you might look up the definition of complaining before using it as an example.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:51 PM

16,597 posts, read 19,814,910 times
After my last experiencewith HP support I will never again recommend them to aynone. My dad had an obvious hardware issue.
If you buy one PRAY you never need to call them.
Dell or IBM (support centers in Autsin and Atlanta).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers