Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 11:51 PM

550 posts, read 1,357,412 times

Advertisements

You can always go for an overpriced Mac with the expensive warranty

My two year old Toshiba Satellite has been doing great. Aside from Vista, it has been good to me. My family has a bunch of HP laptops. I have had bad experiences with the 3+ year old hp laptops. Mostly due to hard drives corrupting within 2 years. I'll see how the newer HP's will do. Hoping their hard drives don't fail like the older laptops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 10:53 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,328,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Sweeping generalizations are a way for small minds to cope with an excess of information.

Lenovo comes up with dogs ocassionally. Our corporate standard for years has been T series Lenovo laptops. My T41p was pretty good, but the T6x series has been awful. Our IT department has worked directly with Lenovo for over a year to resolve some of the problems related to sleep and docking. Everyone hates their T6x and IT agrees they were dogs, but tells us the T400 is much better, as good as the T41 was in its day. I will likely replace my T61p with a 15.4" MacBook Pro, just because I haven't used a Mac as my main system for many years.
cool story bro

Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,762,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Vostro?
Yes. Vostro 220s Slim Tower. Client got a really good deal on it and a monitor. Fast little thing!

Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
You can always go for an overpriced Mac with the expensive warranty

My two year old Toshiba Satellite has been doing great. Aside from Vista, it has been good to me. My family has a bunch of HP laptops. I have had bad experiences with the 3+ year old hp laptops. Mostly due to hard drives corrupting within 2 years. I'll see how the newer HP's will do. Hoping their hard drives don't fail like the older laptops.
You make me feel lucky. My 4 year old HP lappy is still going strong, but....

USB connectivity got a little flaky for my standard MS mouse for some reason. No problems with USB drives, etc so I'm not sure what the deal was. Tried a few things (drivers, etc) but never figured it out.

It got to the point that I had to either install a larger drive or replace it. I opted for replacement because, as my wife put it, "Do it before we retire." Okey Doke!

We will be looking for a place to donate the old one after I've had this one (also an HP) for a few months.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,654,537 times
Man, my HP laptop is RIP now. The HP parts lady couldn't even give me the price to a simple power connecter near/on the motherboard (I even gave her the product #). I think it's better to just get a netbook because I'd have to spend $300 plus for a new motherboard anyway. I only had this thing for 2 years and it's already time to replace it.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM

43,376 posts, read 77,290,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Man, my HP laptop is RIP now. The HP parts lady couldn't even give me the price to a simple power connecter near/on the motherboard (I even gave her the product #). I think it's better to just get a netbook because I'd have to spend $300 plus for a new motherboard anyway. I only had this thing for 2 years and it's already time to replace it.
Ebay or Google the part number, or the motherboard, if you haven't already.
You might be surprised at the low price you might see from someplace.

I have a low voltage power supply coming for a laser printer for $55.00 delivered via Ebay.
Lists at about $325, I think, and it is all over the place at $199..

Old 02-16-2010, 08:24 AM

Yeah, finding parts can be a bear. Googling usually finds a part faster than caller a PC reseller. They only carry those parts that fail all the time, or make the most money.

Even if they do have it you'll find it for half the cost or less somewhere else.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:32 AM

16,728 posts, read 15,734,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
First thing you need to understand is that neither of those companies makes laptops.
Does anybody know of a compilation that shows which ODM made each MODEL for the big name computer companies? THAT would be useful information. Then you could make somewhat more valid comparisons.

Just think, if we found out Toshiba Satellite and Dell Latitude machines were built by the same factory, we could compare the models armed with good information.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Does anybody know of a compilation that shows which ODM made each MODEL for the big name computer companies? THAT would be useful information. Then you could make somewhat more valid comparisons.

Just think, if we found out Toshiba Satellite and Dell Latitude machines were built by the same factory, we could compare the models armed with good information.
That would be excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers