Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times

Advertisements

My computer has recently started shutting down here and there for no apparent reason.

I ran my virus program, all seems fine.

I spoke with tech support, doesnt appear to be a hardware issue.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,441,334 times
What exactly to you mean when you say "shutting down"? Is Windows actually shutting down? Is the system freezing up? Does it appear to lose all power and go dark? An overheating CPU can definitely cause the computer to turn off. You might want to open the case and blow the dust off the CPU heatsink. Try getting into the BIOS and looking for a hardware monitor section. If the CPU temperature is approaching 70 degrees C, that's bad. If cleaning the heatsink doesn't work, its possible the heatsink isn't clamped down properly and can't cool the CPU. Another possibility is a failing power supply.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 AM

Literally going dark and all lights go off, computer turns off.

Power source is fine, AC adaptor plugged in and battery is charged as well.

It's a laptop, so where should I clean and how?

Dell tech support had me eliminate some problems. Next issue we may try is to reinstall Windows. Don't know if it could be this or not. After that, it that doesn't work,they are going to send me a new harddrive.

But I am still worried it is a virus. Does it sound like that?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Does not sound like a virus. I have never heard of a virus that shuts down the computer. Viruses want to reproduce more then anything so they don't want your computer off. lol

Sounds like heat. Maybe a bad USB port? Check all your ports, do they look perfect? I've seen several bad USB ports cause shutdowns. Usually when inserting a device though. Bad ram is also a common cause of shutdowns. Or older programs. Have you installed any software recently?

A windows reinstall would be a good next step if it isn't to much of a pain for you.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:14 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Literally going dark and all lights go off, computer turns off.

Power source is fine, AC adaptor plugged in and battery is charged as well.

It's a laptop, so where should I clean and how?

Dell tech support had me eliminate some problems. Next issue we may try is to reinstall Windows. Don't know if it could be this or not. After that, it that doesn't work,they are going to send me a new harddrive.

But I am still worried it is a virus. Does it sound like that?
Doesn't sound like a virus. Reinstalling Windows will not help if it's just completely turning off without a bluescreen error or anything. Windows crashes leave behind some signs that that is the cause. Ask your friends if anyone has the same model laptop, and borrow their power cord. Remove the battery, and run off of their power cord. If it still shuts off completely, then it's most likely hardware fault on the motherboard. Do some searching on Google for your model and see if anyone else is having the same problem. If it's a manufacturing issue, a batch will usually be affected at the same time.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
..... A windows reinstall would be a good next step if it isn't to much of a pain for you.
Sounds like a lot of pain and no gain since the computer shuts down and leaves no indicator lights on at all. My guess is the hardware needs to be fixed before considering a Windows reinstall.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:16 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
I think reinstalling Windows, though, absolutely eliminates any software causing it. Yes, it should blue screen. But this is one way to isolate the issue to hardware.

Again only if it isn't hard for you to do. I have a USB drive hooked up to my pc that replicates my important stuff so wiping my desktop pc is never a big deal.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Does not sound like a virus. I have never heard of a virus that shuts down the computer. Viruses want to reproduce more then anything so they don't want your computer off. lol

Sounds like heat. Maybe a bad USB port? Check all your ports, do they look perfect? I've seen several bad USB ports cause shutdowns. Usually when inserting a device though. Bad ram is also a common cause of shutdowns. Or older programs. Have you installed any software recently?

A windows reinstall would be a good next step if it isn't to much of a pain for you.
I do have a bad USB port. I dropped my laptop sideways with a wireless mouse plugged in. But that was many many months ago, and I have never had a problem. I don't use that port that's all.

I have plenty of RAM and it's only a year and a half old, Dell Inspiron 1525.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:18 AM

588 posts, read 1,871,895 times
Quote:
I think reinstalling Windows, though, absolutely eliminates any software causing it. Yes, it should blue screen. But this is one way to isolate the issue to hardware.

Again only if it isn't hard for you to do. I have a USB drive hooked up to my pc that replicates my important stuff so wiping my desktop pc is never a big deal.
If you are skilled with Windows, then yes - a re-install is fine...because you usually have several backups of all of your data as well as every bit of software listed out that you need to reinstall. But for the average person - this is a daunting task where they will most likely lose some important files, or not have a CD they need to reinstall something...

Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:

I am going to back everything up (mostly pictures and videos) on a flash stick then do the uninstall/reinstall.

So you all don't think it sounds like a virus? That's good to know. I am trying to think if I installed anything recently.

I did install a new adobe flash player recently. And something else...I forget. But if it's one of those things, how can I figure it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers