Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 11:45 AM

16,716 posts, read 15,720,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
LMAO! More than one poster has advised this person to completely remove all their anti-virus.

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Thanks, Tek. The OP would do well to make sure that only one AV is running. After the problem is solved, it would be good to remove McAfee and Symantec; then install something free, like MSE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:28 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,871,271 times
If you're trying to "Run" the file you're downloading, try saving it instead, and then run it (by double-clicking on it) once the download has completed. I'm thinking that you may have multiple virus scanners, and they're getting in each other's way when you select "Run". Executing the file manually later rather than immediately after the download completes may allow the virus scanners to finish their work and not interfere with each other.

I'd also consider disabling all virus scanners temporarily, and manually scanning your downloads if you're paranoid, just until you get this problem sorted out.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:57 PM

573 posts, read 2,060,517 times
I just asked someone in the house and they told me that he might of downloaded a virus from a winrar file, but the laptop I am using right now is new, just got it yesterday. Answer these questions:

What happens if I am able to download programs from a different network at a different location like a college using this laptop? Does this mean that there is nothing wrong with the laptop itself? I just got it so it can't be the laptop.

And if it's the wireless router then can using a new one fix the problem?

Old 02-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
Does this mean that there is nothing wrong with the laptop itself? I just got it so it can't be the laptop.
Just because you just got it doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it.

There was one particularly nasty virus that could infect a system over a network - you didn't have to even download anything. The virus would just send a carefully crafted packet to a certain TCP/IP port on a Windows system, and it would be infected. Our IS department was doing some experiments in a sandbox network, where they had an infected system, and a freshly installed but unpatched Windows system, and the new system got infected by the infected system within minutes of being attached to the network. That's all it took to infect the new system, just plugging it into the network

If the problem only appears on your home network, and your laptop works fine elsewhere, that strongly suggest the problem is your wireless router, though that would have been one of my last guesses until you provided this new information.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:31 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,240,237 times
If you are able to complete your task from a different location, like at the school, then you have isolated the problem to the area where you do have the problem. Probably maybe unknown. Have you done that?

Have you tried any of the other suggestions in this forum? Including verifying whether or not you are using two or more anti-virus programs at one time?

The only way to know if a new router would fix the problem is using a new router. Have you tried any of the suggestions in this forum?

You can get answers all day long. If you don't verify any attempt at resolution then really, you're just wasting everyone's time. You can pay tech support for that.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:58 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,036,579 times
I'd try what was suggested earlier and change the channel of your wifi router before buying a new one. Maybe you're using the same channel as another household and it's causing interference?

Also, try hooking up with a cable to the router instead of wireless as well.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:34 PM

573 posts, read 2,060,517 times
I am going to try these suggestions soon. And I am not going to uninstall the antivirus programs until I get a new one. Other laptops do not have these 2 antivirus programs and problems still occur.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,240,237 times
Quote:
I am going to try these suggestions soon. And I am not going to uninstall the antivirus programs until I get a new one. Other laptops do not have these 2 antivirus programs and problems still occur.
Sounds like a plan. Just to be clear, you say the other laptops don't have the AV programs but do have the problems.

Remember, you can use ONLY ONE AV program at a time or they will conflict. And, have you uninstalled the AV's from the other laptops or just don't use them?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,749,572 times
Quote:
{sigh}

You are missing the point. You should never have 2 AV programs running at the same time. They see each other as possible viral locations and cause tons of problems. The results from any tests you run while both are on the computer are questionable.

Do not uninstall both, just one. In case you missed it I ragged on those who suggested you remove both. I would suggest to you that you be very cautious about taking advice some anyone who would tell you to do so.

Old 02-27-2010, 02:30 PM

I was the one who initially suggested that two antivirus programs might be the problem. I based that on seeing dialogs from Norton, along with a McAfee icon on the desktop. On closer inspection, the McAfee icon was for Security Scan (a program that just checks for the presence of a virus scanner), not Security Center (part of an antivirus suite), so it's not clear to me whether are not two antivirus programs installed or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers