Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:51 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,024,169 times

Advertisements

No big surprise really

Forbes Welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 06:04 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,689,441 times
I was thinking about buying a new Microsoft Surface 4 or one of the new Microsoft laptops. I guess not. Not after I read this.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Staying with Windows 7 myself, and blocking all the telemetry/tracking updates. It's good until 2020 at least for updates. If things haven't improved by then it might be time to switch to Linux.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:41 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,259,406 times
I am staying with 7 too, just the fact that MS is trying to ram it down our throats, makes me not want 10 and then after reading the article, I know that I do not want 10 ever.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:47 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,023,517 times
good thing I only use my Win10 laptop as a portable graphic design tool when Im away from my Macs. I never set up my email, and use Edge only for simple web browsing.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Check that it doesn't auto upgrade....

Windows 10 Auto Upgrade

Quote:
In September Microsoft admitted it is downloading Windows 10 on every Windows 7 and Windows 8 computer. Then in October it claimed an ‘accident’ saw these downloads begin installing without user permission. Well this accident now looks to have been a secret test run because Microsoft has confirmed mass upgrades to Windows 10 from all Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers are about to begin…
WTH Microsoft?

Edit: Just checked my update history, and it shows that Microsoft was very aggressive about trying to force Windows10 on to me starting on August 1. They kept at it, multiple times, day after day, until it finally stopped on Sept 9. I have since changed my settings, but that pisses me off. They do not have the right to force a new OS on my system.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-02-2015 at 08:06 PM..

Old 11-03-2015, 04:02 AM

1,485 posts, read 956,568 times
Good time to get a macbook pro as expensive as those things are. ��

Old 11-03-2015, 07:32 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,483,926 times
Windows 7 tracks you as well, just as Windows Vista did, XP, 2000, 98, etc.... to think this is something that has just started in 10 is a bit naive. How many of you use Google Chrome? Yep, being tracked. How many of you at least use Google search engine? Yes, being tracked! How many use Google DNS or your ISP's DNS? Once again, data is being collected. "Oh, but Skinsguy, I'm using Bing to search instead of Google!" LOL! OK, Microsoft product - data still being collected. "Oh, I'm using Yahoo!" Congratulations, Yahoo has just announced a partnership with Google last week. So, once again, all of this complaining about being "spied upon" by Microsoft is pretty hilarious when just about everything else you use - and all of you probably use one of thee above - is collecting data about you each and everyday. At least Microsoft's "spying" is for hardware platform reasons. They have to collect that data since Microsoft had to support such a variety of hardware company and products - otherwise, they would force proprietary hardware on you like Apple does and charge you as much as Apple does. And at the end of the day, Microsoft offers you 10 FOR FREE. They don't automatically install it.

Like I said in another thread, I am no Microsoft apologist. But when I start hearing all of this junk about spying and people making it out to be that Microsoft is suddenly bullying people into upgrades and seeing all of their private data, I have to call BS. I am still happily running 7 on my home machine, along with Linux, and have not woken up to seeing 10 on my home machine automatically. Likewise, I've installed 10 on a spare work machine and it seems to be a fine OS other than some Firefox issues. If you're truly that worried about being bullied and spied upon. Get off the internet. Setup your own Raspberry pie network, install Linux, and be worry free.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,346,743 times
Thanks for the article Dave. Here's what I have done so far.

1. First, I went on Youtube and watched a video on the basics of Ubuntu (a Linux distribution) and as they said, the main distribution for personal pc's. That was extremely helpful prior to downloading. I want to emphasize "extremely."

2. Then I downloaded (installed) Ubuntu on a DVD + RW. I ran Ubuntu from the DVD and began to get familiar with it. I like that Firefox comes with the download as their main browser. Having watched that video was a huge help.

3. This morning I felt comfortable enough with Ubuntu, that I installed it on my pc's hard drive to run along side Windows 7. I also installed my fav browser, Slimjet (Chromium based) and my search engine of choice.

It's been going good so far. Next, I'll be checking out the Ubuntu forums.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
And at the end of the day, Microsoft offers you 10 FOR FREE. They don't automatically install it.
As I said in another thread, they do attempt to automatically install it, and they will be getting more aggressive with it at the beginning of 2016.

You know what they say about free, you get what you pay for. Enjoy it if you like, I'll pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers