Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 12:01 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times

Advertisements

I can use your recommendation on computer printers.

Ideally I am looking at All-in-One color printers that can do printing, scanning and copying. I am debating between inkjet vs laser jet. I "think" I am leaning toward laserjet bet since I don't do a lot of printing I am not sure it will make a lot of difference.

I am fed up with HP printers! I went through 2 of them and they breakdown about every 2 years. I think their WiFi and software are their biggest weakness. I always have trouble for them to pick up my computer WiFi network and had to buy a hardwire cable to connect with my laptop. The latest problem is the printer is giving me an error message of not using HP supplier cartridge and refused to print!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2022, 12:20 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
I can use your recommendation on computer printers.

Ideally I am looking at All-in-One color printers that can do printing, scanning and copying. I am debating between inkjet vs laser jet. I "think" I am leaning toward laserjet bet since I don't do a lot of printing I am not sure it will make a lot of difference.

I am fed up with HP printers! I went through 2 of them and they breakdown about every 2 years. I think their WiFi and software are their biggest weakness. I always have trouble for them to pick up my computer WiFi network and had to buy a hardwire cable to connect with my laptop. The latest problem is the printer is giving me an error message of not using HP supplier cartridge and refused to print!
I have both - HP Laser and an Epson photo printer. To be fair, I've never had an HP die on me, they're tanks. My last photo printer was a Canon - good quality, but the heads clogged up and replacing them was just as expensive as buying a new printer. I got the Epson instead. It's nice because it uses ink tanks vs. cartridges, so I just fill the tanks as needed from the bottles.

My HP color laser has been great, we have an all in one. I bought it in 2017 and we're still on the original cartridges, although they've just about had it. I have a spare set handy, but a full set of toner is ~$450 or so. Zero problems with the software over the last 5 years.

Printers not using third party cartridges isn't new - many won't. Lasers usually aren't as bad about it as ink printers though.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:22 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Big fan of Brother printers.

And personally - I always go for Laser vs. inkjet. I know inkjet has come a long ways (and are actually better for some functions). But laser printers just seems to be less hassle, IMO.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:29 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,107 times
We've had an HP Pro MFP M180NW color Laserjet printer that has worked flawlessly for years. I highly recommend it.

Old 07-14-2022, 12:40 PM

23,595 posts, read 70,391,434 times
The chips on the carts and toner are getting more and more aggressive at demanding the manufacturer replacements. IIRC, there was a lawsuit a number of years back that prevented complete lockouts, but times have changed as the consumer rights groups have been shouted down and the governmental agencies defunded or stuffed in back rooms. The subscription model has become dominant, with John Deere owners not allowed to fix their own tractors, BMW charging a monthly fee for heated seats, and other outrageous tricks that pass muster as "free enterprise" by the far right, as long as campaign contributions continue to flow.

Long ago, I stopped buying Epson printers because of high failure rates and constant clogs, even with their own carts. HP went to pot soon after their first color inkjet went out of production. Canon went mostly towards photo quality inkjet and the related costs never fit my needs. I had a tank of a refurbished Lexmark color office network laser that worked great until (I think) an eprom timed out. I switched to an Okidata color laser that also gave many years of good service, although the toner was glossy and only suited to flyers and promotional materials. Over the years in recommending printers for use by my customers I eventually settled on the basic Brother laser printer with a cost of a little over $100. Those were more or less bulletproof except for certain paper jams that required huge amounts of patience and some tools to clear.

I was in the market for a replacement color laser all-in-one about four years ago and went into the local stores and had test prints made so I could compare the output. Color rendition on some of the printers was so bad that a comparison to the original showed dramatic shifts, immediately removing those printers from my short list.

Ultimately, it became a choice between a Canon and a Brother. Based upon my previous experience with Brother, the Brother won out. I currently have three Brothers; an inkjet MFC, plain laser, and color MFC laser. To make everything work... that is another story. I have things working for now, until some idiot stomps on the code for the drivers and calls home and breaks things.

I use LD Products replacement toners and have for years. Whenever I've run into a problem with a printer not wanting to use a cart, I call them and it gets sorted. I have no connection with LD other than being a customer. I would not be surprised if you called and asked them which printers they get fewest complaints about, and what might be a good choice for you, they might give a short list.

I've said it before, for absolute must have basic printing, I have an old Panasonic dot matrix and old laptop with an LPT port. The internet could blow up, viruses take over the world, and I could still print a file in a pinch.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
HP Color Laser. The only other brand I would consider for an all in one would probably be Lexmark. There are cheaper brands like brother but you get what you pay for.

Look into non-branded toner, it will save you quite a bit. Make sure the printer has separate color and black toner. I you print a lot of b/w, you just replace the black.

HP Lasers work pretty well. I've seen a few duds over the years but for the most part they are good. Inkjets in general are much more problematic including the ink which is generally a rip-off. That is where they make their money.

Old 07-14-2022, 03:41 PM

1,097 posts, read 645,126 times
I prefer printers with Ethernet that you can wire to your router.

Old 07-16-2022, 11:17 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Printers not using third party cartridges isn't new - many won't. Lasers usually aren't as bad about it as ink printers though.
As a last resort I ordered HP inks to see if this printer works. If not, I am replacing it.

Old 07-16-2022, 03:53 PM

6,626 posts, read 7,340,970 times
I would look at a black and white laser. Why do you NEED color?

Old 07-16-2022, 03:58 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,474,875 times
I am on my 5th HP printer,my problem is their stupid instant ink,DONT EVER EVER SIGN UP for Instant ink.
As for using non HP ink,it should work,it is none of their XXXX business .
It will be my last HP printer,swearing on my mother's grave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers