Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 01:19 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times

Advertisements

Why do our roads lack these signs?

I am disgusted by the egocentric drivers who REFUSE to move out of the left lane (not to stereotype, but I've found this most frequently done by 'soccer mom' types blabbing away on their cell phones while tooling along at far below the pace of traffic in their Honda Pilot)

Refusing to get out of what is supposed to be the PASSING lane leads to road-rage and accidents.

IMHO, our state police should focus more on drivers who cruise in passing lanes..and less on those driving 10-15 miles over the speed limit in a SAFE (no weaving, and using the left lane only to pass) manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
You need to come down to NC and see how bad it really is!

But I agree with you, too many people do this and don't understand the rules of the road. It creates dangerous situations not to mention talking on the cell phone while driving is illegal in CT.

Old 07-15-2010, 01:32 PM

97 posts, read 349,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
Why do our roads lack these signs?

I am disgusted by the egocentric drivers who REFUSE to move out of the left lane (not to stereotype, but I've found this most frequently done by 'soccer mom' types blabbing away on their cell phones while tooling along at far below the pace of traffic in their Honda Pilot)

Refusing to get out of what is supposed to be the PASSING lane leads to road-rage and accidents.

IMHO, our state police should focus more on drivers who cruise in passing lanes..and less on those driving 10-15 miles over the speed limit in a SAFE (no weaving, and using the left lane only to pass) manner.
I don't see that as stereotyping.. I see it all the time. Especially when your on the Merritt in the dark. It's poorly lit and with all the soccermoms driving their kids to tournaments, it's a freakin deathtrap.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:05 PM

691 posts, read 1,150,504 times
Yeah, I had the 'pleasure' of driving on that mess for about five years.

But, hey...according to FFC residents, it's a 'historical road' and should NEVER be expanded.

I mean...who cares if it takes 2 hours to go 15 miles during rush hour...you get to look at the pretty scenery while sitting on the breaks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseegirl95 View Post
I don't see that as stereotyping.. I see it all the time. Especially when your on the Merritt in the dark. It's poorly lit and with all the soccermoms driving their kids to tournaments, it's a freakin deathtrap.

Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
You need to come down to NC and see how bad it really is!
I don't know yet what the CT law is, even though that's where I grew up and where I learned to drive, but there is no law in NC, and many other states, against doing that. And It's not against the Federal Law which applies to all federally-funded interstate highways.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseegirl95 View Post
Pretty scenery my ass.... All I see are dead roadkilled deer.. Roadkilled deer are okay. When I do it myself on a back road. But I don't appriciate a soccermoms big SUV slamming into a deer, holding up traffic for hours due to the rubberneckers..Okay, if they don't want to expand it - why don't they just add some lights to it? At night it's a death trap. *sigh* on 95 people are scared of the truckers. Yet on the Merritt, you have to drive in the dark with crazy soccermoms..
Oh good grief.

Sometimes I think people are looking for things to be angry about.

I never get that upset about driving and other drivers... I never see all of these other horrible drivers... I see little road kill on the Merritt. It's a very pretty drive. A pleasure compared to 95.

At night, if you feel you need more light, you can take 95, or even Route 1.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Oh good grief.

Sometimes I think people are looking for things to be angry about.

I never get that upset about driving and other drivers... I never see all of these other horrible drivers... I see little road kill on the Merritt. It's a very pretty drive. A pleasure compared to 95.

At night, if you feel you need more light, you can take 95, or even Route 1.
I agree. I don't see a lot of roadkill on the Merritt or wilbur Cross and I am on these roads a lot. Jay

Old 07-15-2010, 03:28 PM

155 posts, read 552,703 times
it's sad that such a sign is needed, 'keep right, pass left' should be universally known.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:29 PM

97 posts, read 349,042 times
^ Agreed

Old 07-15-2010, 03:51 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I don't live in Fairfield County, and don't need to, to know that the Merritt IS an historic roadway. It was never intended to be a superhighway, and I'm glad it isn't one, and at the other end where it changes its name into the Berlin Turnpike, it's not even a divided road, and there ARE stoplights, and it's considered just a main state thoroughfare.

However, I definitely agree that when there are THREE lanes on each side of the highway, the right lane should be for local traffic coming on and exiting, the middle lane is intended for "thru-traffic" and trucks, and the left lane is for passing (and left-exits, which are rare in Connecticut).

On I-91 in particular, there really is no excuse to cruise in the left lane. There is -never- an excuse to cruise while holding a cell phone, in any lane. If it's an emergency you should get over to the side of the road so you can concentrate on the phone call. If it's not an emergency, you should hang up and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut