Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germ482x View Post
I would never consider Darien or Westport "affordable."
In comparision to Greenwich they are. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 03:47 PM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
Greenwich is NOT New England...Geographically yes..culturally, not even close.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:20 PM

124 posts, read 734,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Greenwich is NOT New England...Geographically yes..culturally, not even close.
I really beg to differ.

Besides the incomes, Greenwich is very much like New England. Demographically and planning-wise it is VERY similar(large lots, white people, narrow roads). The stone walls are characteristic of NE. Also, people dress and behave very similar(fast pace, dark clothes during the winter, etc).

The only difference is that politically it's very conservative, and most of New England is moderate or slightly blue.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 AM

Once you said fast paced..you blew it. Any town can "look" the part...Greenwich is a NYC suburb.

Old 10-07-2007, 08:45 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Western CT, Lower Central Connecticut and New Haven county will always have ties to NYC. Before cars, highways, and mass transit Greenwich was a New England seaside village. Most culture and tastes are rooted within centuries of history. Even in lower Central Connecticut where I live, my neighbor commutes to the NYC a few times a week, and others I know that don't live in Farifield County. I consider most of Connecticut to be "fast past" compared to other regions of the United States, especially Hartford, New Haven, and Farifield counties.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:26 PM

Up in the Farmington Valley we SELL our lichen and moss laden old stone walls to people in Greenwich so it can look like New England. White people and preppy doesnt make a town "New Englandy". People in Summit, NJ and Lake Forest IL can do that too.

Old 10-14-2007, 06:23 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by investtt View Post
I really beg to differ.

Besides the incomes, Greenwich is very much like New England. Demographically and planning-wise it is VERY similar(large lots, white people, narrow roads). The stone walls are characteristic of NE. Also, people dress and behave very similar(fast pace, dark clothes during the winter, etc).

The only difference is that politically it's very conservative, and most of New England is moderate or slightly blue.
Fairfield and New Haven Counties are as much New England as Westchester County, New York, is. In other words, not even close. They are as Mid-Atlantic as can be.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,974 times
Greenwich is a GREAT place! Like someone said, the amenities are exceptional! The library is great, Greenwich High School is great! Snobs? Of course, there are snobs but at least, most people here are truly RICH, not some loser 30K millionaire driving a leased BMW like I have seen in places like Dallas, Atlanta, Orange County and Scottsdale, AZ. Of course, there will be some "nouveau rich" types but it is mostly old money. Usually, you will see more people driving older Saab, Volvo or Land Rover models than some 30k millionaire driving a brand new BMW. Also, Greenwich is a great place to meet famous and influential people. Like someone said, Stamford is a great option as well. Stamford is more urban, a bit less affluent, but still a great city and you are only a short drive/train ride from all the amenities Greenwich has to offer.

Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 PM

Greenwich about as New Englandy as Newark NJ.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:51 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Greenwich about as New Englandy as Newark NJ.
Hysterical, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut