Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:11 PM

35 posts, read 39,220 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I may be working in the town of Wallingford and was looking for some location advice. I am a young (22) single female and would like to be in a location that is good for meeting people. Also I'm looking for an area that is very walkable with cafes, shops, and preferably at least a few bars and some sort of nightlife. I have been searching around the forums and I feel something like Stamford would be ideal but it is a bit too far and probably too expensive.

I want to be within a 45 minute commute to Wallingford, and would prefer the south or west direction. I'm on a limited budget and would prefer to get a 1 bedroom for under $1000 (including utilities), but I would share if need be. My concern with New Haven is that I could only afford the less safe areas and safety is high on my list of concerns. I am not particular about the size of the town, so long as it has some people my age, things to do, a decent nightlife, and is safe.

If anyone has any advice on the best cities/towns I would greatly appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,305,424 times
I'm sure you'll hear a lot of Middletown and West Hartford, after New Haven.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:40 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I'm sure you'll hear a lot of Middletown and West Hartford, after New Haven.
Black Rock could also make the cut too.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:03 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Whitney Ave in Hamden.

The area is generally walkable to a lot of things. You're also a short drive from everything New Haven has to offer, and a quick commute to Wallingford.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Whitney Ave in Hamden.

The area is generally walkable to a lot of things. You're also a short drive from everything New Haven has to offer, and a quick commute to Wallingford.
I second this idea. There are probably other areas in Hamden that would fit your needs, as well.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 PM

35 posts, read 39,220 times
Thanks for the responses! So now I have a few more questions...with Whitney Ave in Hamden, does that area in particular have things to do or is it just reasonably close to areas that do? Does Wallingford itself not fit the bill because there isnt much to do or is it just out of my price range? I am very much considering Hamden now. I have also heard good things about West Haven, is that out of my price range as well? Also if anyone has particular apartment complex recommendations that would be very helpful. I am doing my own research on this website as well and am finding a lot of great information

Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy202 View Post
with Whitney Ave in Hamden, does that area in particular have things to do or is it just reasonably close to areas that do? Does Wallingford itself not fit the bill because there isnt much to do or is it just out of my price range? I am very much considering Hamden now. I have also heard good things about West Haven, is that out of my price range as well? Also if anyone has particular apartment complex recommendations that would be very helpful. I am doing my own research on this website as well and am finding a lot of great information
Whitney Ave is one of the main North-South arteries through Hamden. It goes all the way south from Hamden to the center of New Haven (becomes Temple St., which runs right through the New Haven Green) and goes North seemingly forever as Route 10 (you have to turn left in Avon to stay on 10, but the road keeps going...).

So it is near New Haven, but there are also some good restaurants/pubs and shopping and fun on or near Whitney Ave. in Hamden. Some of the action in Hamden is on nearby streets like Dixwell. You should avoid going south on Dixwell into New Haven -- and definitely avoid any living arrangements near Dixwell close to the New Haven border. This is near Newhallville, which is one of the worst parts of New Haven.

There are seemingly endless apartment buildings in Hamden. In general, you will get what you pay for. Mix Ave. has a bunch of offerings, and they usually have many units per building. Just be sure you like the places before signing a lease. The easiest thing to do is plan a day to visit and schedule a bunch of viewings in that single day. Otherwise you are just relying on other people's online reviews...

Wallingford is fine, but it is not a good 20-something town. New Haven is by far the best for people in their 20's.

West Haven is OK -- it is safe, has some young people, but just not the same vibrancy as New Haven. I would give Hamden the edge because it is a nicer town in my opinion.

Good luck!

Old 09-03-2010, 08:22 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyy202 View Post
I have also heard good things about West Haven, is that out of my price range as well?
It's in your price range, but like Hamden, it probably isn't what you're looking for. Hamden is a safe suburb that appeals to people that need decent schools and don't wish to live in New Haven. West Haven's appeal is that it's safer and less congested than New Haven. Neither one though, nor East Haven, will have the local vibe that you seem to be looking for.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:38 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's in your price range, but like Hamden, it probably isn't what you're looking for. Hamden is a safe suburb that appeals to people that need decent schools and don't wish to live in New Haven. West Haven's appeal is that it's safer and less congested than New Haven. Neither one though, nor East Haven, will have the local vibe that you seem to be looking for.
I was thinking that the plus to Hamden is the easy access to both New Haven (can be shady in spots) and Wallingford (a bit boring for a 20-something). It's right in the middle. On Whitney Ave, near Eli's, there are plenty of walkable neighborhoods accessible to bars, restaurants and some stores.

OP: If you can find a place in downtown Milford, that would suit you as well (but it would have to be downtown). Nice, walkable area with a train station offering easy access to NYC, great restaurants, a harbor, and a fantastic nightlife in the summer. Downtown Milford would suit you better than Hamden, IMO.

Edit to add: I'd stay away from West Haven.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:44 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
My first thought when reading your post was New Haven. It has all that you are looking for but your budget may make it tough to find something. Wallingford is nice but it really does not have much of a night life. It is a small suburban type town mostly though it does have a small downtown. You would not be far from the nightlife in New Haven though so it may not be that bad for you. The other one mentioned that I agree with is Middletwon. It has a nice active downtown with a lot for singles to do since it is the home of Wesleyan University. I think you could find someting there in your price range. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut