Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:18 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times

Advertisements

From what I heard there were issues with the age of the building and who would pay for the repairs. There may have been asbestos issues. They also wanted to expand into the Party City shop next door but were waiting for their lease to expire. Shop Rite is not the best at bringing new stores on line but this is unbelievable. That store would bring in a lot of money since there is limited competition in Fairfield. Now people are use to driving further for a store, they won't be as likely to patronize that store. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Where do Fairfield people shop?

Old 06-24-2011, 07:38 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,958,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Where do Fairfield people shop?
There are two Stop & Shops, a Trader Joe's, and now a Whole Food.

I actually shop at the Stop & Shop on Madison Avenue on the North End of Bridgeport. The Stop & Shop near me on Villa Avenue in Fairfield is pretty big and unwieldy, and I prefer the smaller store on Madison Avenue.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:44 PM

I think a lot of people who live in Stratfield go to the Stop & Shop on Madison Avenue in Bridgeport. Some of my family go there or the one in Black Rock. I know people in Southport that go to the Westport Stop & Shop which is just over the line. And many make regular trips to Stew Lenords in Norwalk or shop at BJ's. Jay

Old 06-24-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think a lot of people who live in Stratfield go to the Stop & Shop on Madison Avenue in Bridgeport. Some of my family go there or the one in Black Rock. I know people in Southport that go to the Westport Stop & Shop which is just over the line. And many make regular trips to Stew Lenords in Norwalk or shop at BJ's. Jay
The Stop & Shop in Westport is very convenient to Southport. I'm not familiar with the S&S in Black Rock.

I go to Stew Leonards when I'm having a big cookout because it's a great place to get the meat at a good price. I love to get filet mignon, strip steaks and ribeye steaks there.

I used to go to the old Stratfield Market sometimes, but it's been closed for about 5 years. It's ridiculous how it was forced out of business, only to have the building sit there empty all this time.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:16 PM

That building is sitting empty while the town fights with the owner and Walgreens over whether it can be converted to a pharmacy. The neighbors banned together to fight the change from a grocery store and got the town planning and zoning commission to turn it down. The lawsuits are going to court shortly. It will be interesting to see who wins. And I agree that it is sad to see the building empty all because of corporate greed and unattached property owners who only care about making a buck and not what is best for the general community. Jay

Old 06-24-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That building is sitting empty while the town fights with the owner and Walgreens over whether it can be converted to a pharmacy. The neighbors banned together to fight the change from a grocery store and got the town planning and zoning commission to turn it down. The lawsuits are going to court shortly. It will be interesting to see who wins. And I agree that it is sad to see the building empty all because of corporate greed and unattached property owners who only care about making a buck and not what is best for the general community. Jay
I don't see why a pharmacy there would be so terrible. People around here have this reactive mentality and don't really think things through. Sure I'd prefer the Stratfield Market but it's long gone. I'd be happy to have it back, but I don't really mind a pharmacy there. Somebody who's going to maintain the building would be a big improvement over the situation there now.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:26 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
I saw a help wanted ad for the Fairfield ShopRite the other day. So i guess they should be opening pretty soon.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM

I thought I heard September 1st. Jay

Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 AM

281 posts, read 345,749 times
From CT Post:
ShopRite supermarket opens Wednesday in Fairfield

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut