Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 19,069 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My partner's company is relocating her to their Manhattan office so we are in the process of figuring out where to live. Our situation is that we currently live in Long Beach, CA and I am pregnant with twins. We are nervous (and excited) about moving across the country during this important time in our lives.

We have read great things about raising a family in Fairfield County (Westport, Weston, Fairfield) and her office is two blocks from Grand Central Station. Our primary concern is that we live in a gay-friendly area where our kids will be comfortable growing up.

Any input, insights, suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoli View Post
Hi there,

My partner's company is relocating her to their Manhattan office so we are in the process of figuring out where to live. Our situation is that we currently live in Long Beach, CA and I am pregnant with twins. We are nervous (and excited) about moving across the country during this important time in our lives.

We have read great things about raising a family in Fairfield County (Westport, Weston, Fairfield) and her office is two blocks from Grand Central Station. Our primary concern is that we live in a gay-friendly area where our kids will be comfortable growing up.

Any input, insights, suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance!
Connecticut is a very liberal state with civil unions for gay men and lesbians that will likely become marriage in the next few years.

We also have anti discrimination and hate crime laws based on gender, sexual orientation, religion, trans gendered, etc.

For Fairfield county- it is a very tolerant place to live. I frankly feel Westport is your best choice; its just a wonderful place to live, with great places to eat, shop and relax- and it has the second oldest gay/lesbian bar in the country; The Cedar Brook- an institution in Connecticut. Westport will certainly make you feel comfortable as well as your children. Plus the trip into NYC via Metro north is quick.

Fairfield is also a great town. Weston may be a wee too sedate for you, however is beautiful and offers much in the way of privacy.
Good luck with your twins and of course welcome to you and your partner to our state!

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-05-2007 at 07:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2007, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 33,817 times
Westport or Fairfield are great bets for you. Due to the train schedule, you might find Fairfield is an easier commute to NYC(my wife does it everyday) then Westport, so that is something to keep in mind!

Good luck with the kids and your move!

Best,

David Lindland

Stamford Ct.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-06-2007 at 04:11 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed

Old 07-05-2007, 11:04 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,334 times
I've lived in Westport for the past ten years, and I think you'll love the community. My parents were also California transplants 20 years ago from the Long Beach area.

Some background on Fairfield County politics. The county is widely known as the most conservative county in New England, largely due to the concentrated wealth along the 'Gold Coast'. When I say conservative, I mean conservative by New England standards, which would probably be considered more liberal in the Bible Belt. People here mind their business, live a "whatever floats your boat" lifestyle and are more fiscally conservative and socially liberal. The life of "luxury" in Fairfield County will probably be very modest when you compare it to the west coast (particularly LA). Yes, people here have money, but it's not flaunted and it's not "cool" to be flashy and jazzy.

That being said, being gay in Connecticut is no big deal. You're in the shadows of Manhattan, close to the gay mecca of New Haven and Yale, Providence and Boston, all with large gay populations. Recently, Connecticut has seen an influx of gays from across the country due to the Civil Unions bill passed by Gov. Rell.

Westport is a beautiful town with great schools. You have Compo Beach and Sherwood Island, as well as many country clubs and yacht clubs to belong to if you want to meet people. People here are generally friendly but very reserved. Sure you'll come across the snob, or the person who will look at you twice if you're holding hands with your partner, but that can be expected even in Provincetown (a great place for gays to vacation on Cape Cod). In all, Westport would be my number one recommendation for any same-sex couple starting a family.

Also, to the poster above, I don't see how Fairfield can be an easier commute to NYC since Westport is 1 MetroNorth stop and 1 town closer to NY. Just a thought

Hope I was able to ease your mind a little. Good luck and welcome to Westport.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:11 AM

6 posts, read 33,817 times
Also, to the poster above, I don't see how Fairfield can be an easier commute to NYC since Westport is 1 MetroNorth stop and 1 town closer to NY. Just a thought

I think Fairfield has a more flexible schedule, though you did get me on the fact that Westport is closer............

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:41 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
tonoli - Welcome to Connecticut. I think you will like it here. The towns you mentioned are all excellent. Considered to be among the best places to live in the country. Weston is very rural with large lot zoning (2 acre or more mostly), so if you want privacy it would be good.

Westport is a wonderful town with a lot of great amentities incllluding wonderful schools, beaches, parks, shopping and restaurants. They have the fabulous Westport Country Playhouse and a really great YMCA that has tons of family programs. It is a bit pricey but then coming from Long Beach I am sure it would not shock you.

Fairfield is bit more mixed with homes in many price ranges. There are great schools, beaches, parks, shopping and restaurants here too. Plus they have a nice little community theater downtown and tons of family activities. I know many people who bought here because it was less expensive and then refused to move as their fortunes improved because they loved it here. Good luck with your move. Jay

Old 07-07-2007, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 19,069 times
Thanks everyone for all of the great information. It sounds like we can't go wrong. We have a particular interest in Weston due to the large lots (lots of room for kids to play compared to California) but are fearful that we keep hearing about how "private" Weston is. Do you think if we moved to Weston the neighbors would be warm and welcoming or is there more of an isolation feel to the town since the homes are spread out? I appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:09 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoli View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the great information. It sounds like we can't go wrong. We have a particular interest in Weston due to the large lots (lots of room for kids to play compared to California) but are fearful that we keep hearing about how "private" Weston is. Do you think if we moved to Weston the neighbors would be warm and welcoming or is there more of an isolation feel to the town since the homes are spread out? I appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance.
Considering that Weston is about 5 miles to the center of Westport- I do not feel you will be 'isolated'.

If you want a larger piece of land with privacy and 'tolerant' neighbors Weston should be great. Rolling Stones icon Keith Richards is a resident of the town.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:18 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
tonoli - You would definitely have to work to meet people, but that is true no matter which town you choose. People in Connecticut are a bit reserved (not to be mistaken for unfriendly) and they tend to keep to themselves. You would need to get out and meet people by becoming involved in local activities. It shouldn't take long since there are a lot of people who relocate here from all over the country.

You should know that Westport and Fairfield have sections with large lot zoning as well (mostly north of the Post Road, Route 1). Fairfield's Greenfield Hill section covers about a third of the town and is absolutely beautiful with 2-acre minimum properties. You could get the room you are looking for with the amenities of that a large town would offer (beaches, parks, convenient shopping, entertainment and restaurants). It is kind of the best of both worlds which is what makes it such a great town. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-08-2007, 04:56 PM

43 posts, read 172,611 times
I am from Westchester, but live on the Fairfield border, and am very familiar with most towns in Fairfield- you might have to look around to see what neighborhood you feel most comfortable with- but personally I dont think you will have to worry.

By the way, I am a mortgage consultant- working in CT if you need any rates or advice!

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-08-2007 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: advertising not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut