Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 05:24 PM

6 posts, read 19,082 times

Advertisements

I am a contractor generally so I am located in the state where the job is. I use CT as my home of records. Recently, I received a notice from the state of CT that I owe $3000 in back taxes for 2006 in CT.

Now I worked in TX for most of 2006 until Oct, then I went to my folk's home in CT which is what I use for home of records for a short visit.

The question is how far can the state of CT go back to review my records? I think that the Federal Tax people are only allowed to go back two years, but I may be wrong on this.

Can anybody assist me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,780 times
You should always save your tax records for 7 years.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
You should probably consult with an accountant. Jay

Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 AM

327 posts, read 1,119,388 times
Maybe time to setup a home office somewhere else. Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM

34,937 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Maybe time to setup a home office somewhere else. Seven states have no state income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. Two others, New Hampshire and Tennessee, tax only dividend and interest income.
Gee, how many of these states have good economies right now? What will you get paid for the work you do here. Many are states with poorly paid labor rates. You have to balance the ability to get work for a decent rate verses the taxes you will need to pay. Jay

Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 AM

327 posts, read 1,119,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Gee, how many of these states have good economies right now? What will you get paid for the work you do here. Many are states with poorly paid labor rates. You have to balance the ability to get work for a decent rate verses the taxes you will need to pay. Jay
YES, that is true and why I choose to live in CT . It sounded as if the OP was only using CT as a place of record while he consulted all over the country. If I was him I would just register in one of those tax free states while working in the respective consulting assignment's location.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM

222 posts, read 854,906 times
Did you earn that income they are taxing you in Texas?

If so you need to prove to them that you lived there, and that was home state for that period you earned that income.

If you can't prove residence during that time you will have to pay.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 gauge View Post
I am a contractor generally so I am located in the state where the job is. I use CT as my home of records. Recently, I received a notice from the state of CT that I owe $3000 in back taxes for 2006 in CT.

Now I worked in TX for most of 2006 until Oct, then I went to my folk's home in CT which is what I use for home of records for a short visit.

The question is how far can the state of CT go back to review my records? I think that the Federal Tax people are only allowed to go back two years, but I may be wrong on this.

Can anybody assist me?
The state can go back 15 years however, it is unlikely they will prosecute beyond 7 years.

You are already in a ***tload of trouble as you have ruined your credit rating. In these times, not many can afford to do that.....seek out a professional.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomet View Post
Did you earn that income they are taxing you in Texas?

If so you need to prove to them that you lived there, and that was home state for that period you earned that income.

If you can't prove residence during that time you will have to pay.
[SIZE=3]gomet, I worked in TX for 2006 and the W2 says I worked in TX. I worked there for three years prior too. There is no dispute about that. I had an apartment in TX. They are saying because after I was laid off of my job in TX and I visited my folks in CT, they are trying to say I am a resident of CT. The CT State Tax people are saying if I was in CT for 30 days then that makes me a resident. But I didn't stay in CT for 30, I only was in CT for a about 5 days and I have the credit card records to prove that. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Basically this is nothing more than a shakedown by the police state of CT. Unemployment is hitting CT hard and there is a tax deficit. They are looking for ways to raise revenue -illegal or not. They requested I have proof of my apartment lease in TX, a copy of my TX license and registration for 2006 and the same requirements for when I worked in KS for 2007. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I have forward the CT Tax Audit people all this information and I am in the process of seeing where this will all go. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The reason I use CT as a home of records is because as a contractor I was constantly on the go. I needed an address and telephone where someone could reach me at all time. From now on I am on to these criminals and I will not use CT as my home of records anymore. I can’t wait to get out of this rat infested suburb of NY. [/SIZE]

Last edited by 12 gauge; 10-09-2010 at 09:47 PM.. Reason: fonts problems

Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
The state can go back 15 years however, it is unlikely they will prosecute beyond 7 years.

You are already in a ***tload of trouble as you have ruined your credit rating. In these times, not many can afford to do that.....seek out a professional.
OK thanks for the info. 7 years !!!! I thought the federal could only go back 2 years!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut