Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2007, 10:46 AM

15 posts, read 34,492 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I miss Connecticut sooo much!

I was born in Southington and graduated Bristol Central High School.
I lived in Terryville for 16 years after.

Due to an illness I had to move with family in Northern Maine. I hate it here but no offense to anyone who might like Northen Maine.

Now I can move back to Ct. but am on disability and cannot afford Ct. housing, and I cannot part with my 5 dog-babies. (they're small, though).

I've lived up here now for over 10 years and still all of my friends are in Ct. They cannot help me at all...I just exist up here, hardly.

I have tried to sell my house for the last 3 or 4 years and only two people even called or came to look. I have a cute house and it is listed again but only one person came to see it.

Does anyone have any idea of how a person with 5 dog-babies and her roots in Ct. can afford to go back there?

Thanks,
Reticuli

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,373 times
If you are on disability does that mean you will not be working at all? If so, you could look at the cheaper/quieter areas of CT that are further out from the cities everyone commutes to. Eastern CT/Quiet Corner is probably the most affordable area in the state. Good luck on selling your home!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:52 AM

575 posts, read 3,131,712 times
Plymouth and Bristol are not as expensive for housing,as well as Thomaston

Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,909 times
Disabled people are allowed to live in housing for the elderly, I believe the rent would be a percentage of your income. I think pets are allowed , I know I've seen cats. Also, there are some decent trailer parks around (Naugatuck, Prospect), if you can afford it---might be cheaper than buying a house. You'd have your own "yard" area, as opposed to an apartment.
Best wishes

Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Thanks for your help and kindness

Thanks for the helpful replies, I'll keep moving ahead on t his...

Old 06-14-2007, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 58,075 times
Wow, I really feel for you. I don't know much about this but is it possible to speak with a social worker there that might be able to help you? I think the problem will be the 5 dogs. I don't think any condo association will allow 5 dogs, and you might even have a problem in a trailer park with that many dogs. You'd have to have your own house to keep the dogs. Look on Realtor.com to get an idea of housing costs in different area's. I assuming though that your biggest problem is selling your house now. One option might be to rent your house so you could move here. What kind of dogs do you have?
Angie

Old 06-14-2007, 07:52 PM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,718 times
Your problem seems to be mostly financial. You have to examine all of the numbers before you can consider any actual move. Taxes are much more expensive here, so you can probably forget about owning a home with land. The dogs are another problem when trying to find affordable housing, even if you are disabled.
Lower the selling price of your home, and don't become an absentee landlord, because you will still be responsible for repairs, maintenance and other expenses.
Even though you may find it unaccpetable, get rid of the dogs. You have too many, and in the end, you just might have to choose between the dogs and returning to CT.
How much can you afford for rent and utilities if you sell your house?
Once your house is sold, that will probably become your next problem.
By the way, where in Maine is it and why isn't it selling?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:34 AM

17 posts, read 63,826 times
alot of people that are on disabilty think it does not count as income and it does you can get some very good deals in terryville bristol consider maybe a multi-family for extra income also as for your house in maine have you tried different realtors most of the time the one with the highest listing price is not the best one for the job you need one that is going to give your house the most exposure

Old 06-20-2007, 08:33 PM

Smile Thanks everyone

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, my rt. hand gives me problems as it is partly paralyzed.... so that is why I can't post that often...

I appreciate your helpful comments...

My five dogs are my best friends and I could never "get rid of them" except in a life-threatening emergency. I have two cocker spaniels,
two small papillons and one pomeranian. My oldest is a 12 yr old papillon. Dogs are my life and I am a dog trainer and have shown dogs for many years competitively. They are licensed and have their shots and are spayed and neutered. They are so well cared for that people that see them always compliment me on how they look and behave. No mats, no fleas. I'm one of those very responsible pet owners... I plan a career in dog training when I return to Connecticut, so even if I had no dogs I would not be happy and would still want a career in dog training. My pomeranian just won first place (yesterday) in basic obedience classes. I plan to show him in obedience when I return to Ct. My oldest dog is a champion and I've shared my life with her for 12 years.
I've considered trying to rent to own my home and trying to get a small business loan in Ct.
I live in Northern Maine and the economy is horrible. I can't see my neurologist until November as he comes up from Bangor once a month.

Take care,
Reticuli

Old 06-21-2007, 01:03 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,718 times
That's too bad, I feel for your situation.
Maybe it will somehow change for the better over time and you will be able to find some way to eventually make the move.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut