Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 PM

119 posts, read 706,620 times

Advertisements

What can anyone tell me about East Hampton? Is it a pain to go over the aragoni bridge everyday (if you have to drive west of course)? Is the downtown enough to keep you civil? How are the schools, people etc.... What's the nearest town to get to a superstore or mall? Feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 08:59 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,437,689 times
I don't live there, but I live very close to EH. The town just got a supermarket (Shaw's) which is a huge deal since there wasn't much around before. There are banks, McDonalds, Subway, liquor stores, restaurants, etc. There aren't any big box stores. If that's your thing, you'll have to drive to Cromwell, Rocky Hill, or Manchester for a WalMart.

If you need a downtown area to "keep you civil," it probably isn't the right area for you. East Hampton isn't exactly a hotbed of activity.

The commute across the Aragoni isn't too bad, but the times I go that way it is a little earlier than when most people are commuting. The ride home through Middletown stinks. It will often take me several turns of the light to be able to take the left which brings you to the Aragoni. That is why I usually go up Rt. 2, across Rt.3 to 91 south. More miles but takes much, much less time. Of course that depends how far west in EH you live. Oh, and the construction on 66 is also a beast to drive through if you get stuck behind someone driving too slow since there are not many opportunities to pass.

Last edited by mels; 11-16-2006 at 09:09 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,353,594 times
Would a commute from East Hampton, Ct to Guilford or Madison every day be completely insane? Mapquest claims it is 46 minutes which is a haul already but I wonder in real time what it is actually like.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:10 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,437,689 times
That is a pretty easy commute for one reason: NO TRAFFIC! I am a bit of a road warrior, but I find that commute appealing. Traffic will be light and it is a scenic drive until you get to Rt. 9. Not that Rt. 9 isn’t scenic, but it is just all trees. On the way to that point you will be following the Connecticut River somewhat and it can be quite pretty in areas.

When I head down that way in the morning (sometimes I travel around the state for work) I take Rt. 196 to Rt. 151 to Rt. 82, where you can pick up Rt. 9 just past the Goodspeed Opera House in the Chester/East Haddam area. These state roads are mainly 45 mph with just about no traffic lights or stop signs. Once you pick up Rt. 9 (a highway) you can cruise 65-70 mph down to Old Saybrook where you will pick up I-95 south. There should be no traffic going from old Saybrook to Guilford or Madison on I-95 during the rush, as the southbound traffic usually starts in Branford (barring accidents, of course).

I would have no problem doing that commute as it should be relatively stress free. Of course you will just have to add additional time on snowy days, but those are all state roads you would be traveling (not small town back roads) and the state is usually pretty good at keeping them all clear.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:54 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,353,594 times
Thanks, Mels, that is good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut