Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 AM

44 posts, read 110,318 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move to Fairfield CT and wondering how painful the commute might be to downtown NYC (4 World Financial Center). I know it will be about 1hr 10min on Metro North from the Fairfield station to Grand Central plus another 20min on the "green" subway (sorry for using the color, I can't recall the numbers... 4,5,6?) to Fulton. Once I get out, I will have another brisk 10min walk to 4 World Financial Center. So all in all, this can easily turn into a 2 hour door to door. That's 4 hours daily round trip, 5 days a week.

Does anyone reading this do this commute or know anyone doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:26 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I do know people that have done this commute but it is not something I would recommend. 2 hours each way is a long commute and all you need is one little problem and it could easily turn into three or more hours. Jay

Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
As Jay said, this is a heck of a commute. However, many people in the NYC metropolitan area do this type of commute every day for years. Don't forget to add in the time it takes you to get to the train from your home in the AM & PM.

If you're single, perhaps the anticipated compensation from a NYC job may be worth it to you. If you have a family, particularly if you have children and especially if you have young children, you may want to think this through carefully. Children are only young once, you may miss most of their childhood and turn into a weekend parent. You'll be gone in the AM before they are fully awake and home in the evening maybe in time to tuck them in.

It's a tough decision, only you can decide if it is worth it to you. Keep in mind too the weather. It's hot and humid in the summer, no fun at all on rainy or stormy days in the winter. You'll be fine on the train, but outside for parts of your commute. It's a trade off for sure.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,744 times
Those are my fears. And if I do this, it won't be for the kind of money that will allow me to stay in Westchester, thus the consideration to move further up the line. Yes, I live in Westchester and I, like many others here of modest income, am being forced to make this kind of decision.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,719 times
That reminds me of the situation faced by commuters Gregory Peck and Walter Pidgeon in the famous 1950s movie, "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit."

Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Very painful. I commute to midtown and that's bad emough.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
That reminds me of the situation faced by commuters Gregory Peck and Walter Pidgeon in the famous 1950s movie, "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit."
I believe that movie was set in Westport. I know the movie shows some scenes from Westport. Jay

Old 11-12-2010, 08:27 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,649 times
My wife did that commute for a while (pre-baby) and it was miserable for her. We're 7-10 mins to the train, plus parking, plus waiting a few minutes, 1h10 (easily add 10-15 mins to that at least 3 days/week) to Grand Central, then anywhere from 20-50 minutes on the subway, depending if they're running, if you can get on because they are so crowded, etc. For her, she took the S across and then the 1/9 down. Ended up being faster, and less walking through very crowded sidewalks. Total commute on a good day was 2 hrs door to door.

I do the commute now to Grand Central, but I have 3 minute walk to my office (5 if I miss the light and the elevators in my building are slow). It still takes me 1h30m on a good day, with the delays and slower trains in the morning its closer to 1h45m. With a 2 year old, plus another one coming (in 1 week! ) this is 3+ hrs of my time with my family that I lose sitting or standing on a train. I've been doing it for 2 and a half years, and as soon as I can find something in CT that's a good fit (and decent comp) I'll be making the change. You do what you have to sometimes, but the trade-off is up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut