Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:49 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times

Advertisements

So my mom has a pickup truck that is kept at the house for dump runs and plowing the driveway in the winter. It is a 98 GMC K1500 and the only option on the thing is an automatic. It looks like hell and drives even worse. (And smells like something died in it).

When she bought the truck the town assessment on it that year (2008) was $3000. Last year the assessment went up to $4500 and this year they assess the truck at $5600. All 3 of the car value sites (KBB, Edmunds, NADA) list is as $6000 MAX in excelent condition. The town says the true value is $6459!!!!! No one in their right mind would pay more than $2000 for this truck if they sold it.

She tried to go to the tax collector and was told that the only way tax assessment can be disputed in town now is during a special assessment meeting that happens one night in September... Thats right, only one meeting for 6000 residents to dispute. The problem this year is the budget didnt pass until the end of October and the tax bills were sent out shortly after.

She tried to dispute it but was told she needed to go to the meeting in September with the tax bill that did exist yet to dispute it. They told her there is nothing she can do until next year.

Does anyone who who she can escalete this to in town or how to get it resolved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:57 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
If the Tax Assessor's office refuses to address this, then go right to the Mayor, Town Manager or First Selectman's office. Stay on top of them and do not let them off the hook until you get answers. If you are dilligent, they should be responsive. Jay

Old 11-16-2010, 12:30 PM

856 posts, read 2,015,379 times
Not to be a jerk but if the assessment kept going up why did she keep waiting to contest it? It was pretty well publicized during the end of Bush's term and during cash for clunkers that state's were imposing extra taxes on SUVs and trucks to get people who didn't need them to give them up.

When she does get the chance to challenge the assessment she needs to make it clear that this vehicle is not registered or road worthy. She may want to try to look into having the vehicle title totalled. She would still be able to use it on private property (lot vehicle) but would not have to worry about these property taxes. She'll need to make sure to be careful where she parks it tho...it could be considered a "blight" if she has it totalled so check with the town on the specifics before doing this.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:41 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
And this is why people find or look for loop holes...If they would only be fair then they wouldnt have to worry and waste their time on complaints and troubled home owners who cant pay their taxes.

I say cancel everything, insurance, plates, ect... If the thing is just a mailbox which once in a while used for plowing "her own" driveway then screw them. Save the money and cancel everything. How often are the dump runs? With all the money you save you can probably rent a dumpster a few times.

I'm sick and tired of towns taking advantage of situations they are not aware of. You shouldn't raise taxes on a 1998 vehicle unless you know its being polished everyday. If they would only be fair, more taxes would actually be paid and more jobs would be filed!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:22 AM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
And this is why people find or look for loop holes...If they would only be fair then they wouldnt have to worry and waste their time on complaints and troubled home owners who cant pay their taxes.

I say cancel everything, insurance, plates, ect... If the thing is just a mailbox which once in a while used for plowing "her own" driveway then screw them. Save the money and cancel everything. How often are the dump runs? With all the money you save you can probably rent a dumpster a few times.

I'm sick and tired of towns taking advantage of situations they are not aware of. You shouldn't raise taxes on a 1998 vehicle unless you know its being polished everyday. If they would only be fair, more taxes would actually be paid and more jobs would be filed!
+1

Something interesting I observed in Asia vs US:

Why aren't there many Asian style loan sharks in USA? There are credit card companies!

Why aren't there gangs harassing you to pay your protection fees? Town tax assessors replaced them!

Why aren't there that many highway robbers on the road?
Traffic police and toll roads drove them into extinction!

Frankly speaking the gangs provided better service than US towns after collecting your $. You get tipped off when inspectors come, you get deals during purchase due to economy of scale, you get market sensitive discounts off protection fees in hard economic times, you can have someone beat up if they mess with your business and sometimes they provide your kids with scholarships to join the civil service!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 AM

470 posts, read 1,665,492 times
TobinJ: She didnt contest the cost in the past because she didnt notice it until this year when she got the bill and saw how high it was. The truck IS currently registered and after she gets the brakes fixed this week it will be road-worthy...ish.... Still looks like crap and isn't worth nearly what it's being assessed at though. I don't think she plans to take it off the road though because she does need it on the road as a spare vehicle and to make runs with it to pick stuff up that wont fit in her car.

Cambium: Polished... that's funny. Heck, it's only ever been washed once since they got it. The rest of the time the rain takes care of it.

Konig: I would rather have laws than outlaws...

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 AM

I didn't see the business about the dump runs so I assumed it was unregistered and the town was still asking for taxes (it is town dependent can't assume no reg. means no tax). If she wants to keep it registered and allowed to drive on the streets then that's the price you pay to drive for paved roads, draingage, etc.

How far is this dump? Same town? You can look into the orange triangle thing (again town dependent) as farm/lot vehicles are allowed to travel certain mileage on the road with only the triangle. If it's within the realm you still may be able to "take it off the road".

Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
I didn't see the business about the dump runs so I assumed it was unregistered and the town was still asking for taxes (it is town dependent can't assume no reg. means no tax). If she wants to keep it registered and allowed to drive on the streets then that's the price you pay to drive for paved roads, draingage, etc.
Oh how I wish I was on a dirt road where water just flowed through land instead of sewers where it gets filtered for drinking water and my with my neighbor miles away. ... I say eliminate cars, lets go back to horses.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Oh how I wish I was on a dirt road where water just flowed through land instead of sewers where it gets filtered for drinking water and my with my neighbor miles away. ... I say eliminate cars, lets go back to horses.
Horses create health and environmental isses as well. That is why cars were embraced in the cities sp strongly 100 years ago. Jay

Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM

Not to mention zombies eat horses...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut